Why become a member? ×

Stingray Mods, Anyone done any pre, pup mods ?

Guest BassKS

[quote name='Higgie' post='545208' date='Jul 20 2009, 02:07 PM']I found the best feature of the Nordstrand replacement pickup was that it brought my G string back. I just couldn't hear it live with the stock pickup![/quote]

As you see:

mm4.2
humbucking (dual coil) 4 string Music Man®-type bass pickups

This pickup is an accurate reproduction of an early pre-Ernie Ball® Music Man® pickup. It uses the same wire, the same magnets, and has the same DC resistance. As a result, it sounds just like the early Music Man® basses that are so widely coveted. Includes black cover (exposed pole pieces).

In my 1986 fretless bass i do see power in G string and the 2 band preamp is far better than 3 band....

[quote name='BassKS' post='535846' date='Jul 8 2009, 05:03 PM']Why, is the pup parallel by default? Its not very bassy and with a pick I cant really get that Fugazi sound or even Breeders. The sound of Louis Johnson and Benard Edwards are far from reach too. A great bass though with a lot of presence and I do intend to keep it. just wondering what I can do with it....[/quote]You need one of the pre Ernie Ball Stingrays for those types of tones, they sound totally different to the modern basses.

the parallel wiring of the mm is a follow up of two single coils being brought together to a place where the original 'sound' was mantiained
ie the jazz developed into a single humbucking pup with poles picking up the same area

my 2006 stingray was ok on the bass end with the 3 band standard preamp...my combo isnt very bass happy though