Why become a member? ×

Markbass R500 woes

Beedster

We were rehearsing last night in a VERY hot studio and my R500 kept cutting out, at least it kept cutting out until it finaly just stopped doing anything at all and I had to revert to the house Laney. We were playing at a relatively low level although I did have the gain up pretty high and was putting quite a lot into it from the bass. Daren't even turn it on this morning to see if there's any life. I'm sure I've heard a few folks say that this isn't necessaily a serious problem, but any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated
Amazing that this happened the day after I sold my back-up head :)
Chris

It could just be a thermal protection circuit kicking in. Or dodgy current in the building. I had the latter happen with my Acoustic Image Focus 2 in a venue I'd never played, but I'd been playing the amp the two nights previous and the night after. Just didn't like the current from the wall.

As for the heat, my Acoustic Image gets pretty hot - enough that, without any shut-downs, I emailed Rick Jones at AI and asked him if this was normal. He replied that the amp has a thermal protection circuit that would shut the amp down before any damage was done. Good for saving the amp, not good in practice at a gig or prac.

So it could just be that. try the Markbass again. If it's really damaged from last night then you won't be doing it any harm :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='535428' date='Jul 8 2009, 09:31 AM']Sorry to hear that Chris - could it be something to do with the pre-amp valve? I bought that amp from Mark at BassDirect. I would contact him and see what he says.[/quote]

Cheers mate, will do

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='535430' date='Jul 8 2009, 09:32 AM']It could just be a thermal protection circuit kicking in. Or dodgy current in the building. I had the latter happen with my Acoustic Image Focus 2 in a venue I'd never played, but I'd been playing the amp the two nights previous and the night after. Just didn't like the current from the wall.

As for the heat, my Acoustic Image gets pretty hot - enough that, without any shut-downs, I emailed Rick Jones at AI and asked him if this was normal. He replied that the amp has a thermal protection circuit that would shut the amp down before any damage was done. Good for saving the amp, not good in practice at a gig or prac.

So it could just be that. try the Markbass again. If it's really damaged from last night then you won't be doing it any harm :)[/quote]

Thanks Gareth, just tried it again and it seems to be fine. Just spoke to the other guys and they said they'd never known it so hot so perhaps it was simply a thermal cut-off, I used the Laney from the same power source so I guess that wasn't the issue although the MB might just be a little more sensitive (or emotional?). Bit worried that this could happen live so I'll probably get in touch with MB as Clarky suggested.

I was playing with the gain pretty much right up and quite possibly a fair bit of low rolled up on the UV70 as well. Anyone got any idea just how much the R500 will take, or to put it another way, should I be a little more careful in future?

Chris

Were you going into the house cab?

Plenty of acknowledged cases of MB heads protecting themselves from a cab with dodgy impedance etc...

Just trying to make you feel a little more positive.

I wouldn't say they are emotional, just Italian, in that they look after their own first and foremost and are more than happy to surrender momentarily if the going gets dangerously tough; if that will protect them and let them return to fight another day: (no offense meant to any of our Italian brethren who may be reading :)

Not a bad way to be for an expensive head to behave IMO.

[quote name='51m0n' post='535538' date='Jul 8 2009, 11:22 AM']Were you going into the house cab?

Plenty of acknowledged cases of MB heads protecting themselves from a cab with dodgy impedance etc...

Just trying to make you feel a little more positive.

I wouldn't say they are emotional, just Italian, in that they look after their own first and foremost and are more than happy to surrender momentarily if the going gets dangerously tough; if that will protect them and let them return to fight another day: (no offense meant to any of our Italian brethren who may be reading :)

Not a bad way to be for an expensive head to behave IMO.[/quote]

All very true and very amusing, cheers mate :rolleyes:
Chris