Why become a member? ×

SOLD - DEAN RHAPSODY 12 STRING BASS

7string

I have other basses and this Dean 12 string is being sold to fund the purchase of a Tricone Resonator guitar. I bought this of of Scoop last year, it's a great bass in great nick but my music's going in a different direction than it was when I bought this.

If you want a huge bass sound for your band, then this is the bass for you. The sound of the 12 can be heard on records by Kings X, Cheap Trick and, most famously, Pearl Jam.

This 12 string is strung as 4 groups of 3 strings each. The usual 4 string bass strings have 2 neighbours which are both tuned an octave above the low string. It's also a regular 34" scale.

The bass comes complete with a heavy (if not very good looking) hard case and some replacement strings.

Construction is an ash body with a quilt maple top all finished in translucent black. The maple neck carries a rosewood fingerboard with 24 frets. A brass nut takes the string up to the tuning keys. Hardware includes Grover machineheads (not cheap by themselves) and EMG active pickups. Controls are volume, blend and a 3 band eq.

Please bear in mind that the bass and case combined are pretty weighty. Because of this, the postage price will be around £25 via Parcelforce 48hr within the UK. I'll do a more accurate measuring/weighing and I'll charge at cost.

This bass is advertised local and on eBay. I've lowered the asking price for Basschat members as I know it'll go to a good home.

If you are outside the UK, please contact me for a postage quote.

[b][size=4]If you have any questions, just let me know. In the meantime, I'll ask my wife to take some better pictures![/size][/b]

Edited by 7string

[quote name='bubinga5' post='532514' date='Jul 4 2009, 04:47 PM']This is a beast...could you play fingerstyle on this bass..or is it more of a pick instrument??[/quote]

Sorry, was in a rush before and I didn't answer your question.

Yup, you can play the 12 fingerstyle or with a pick. I've played it both ways and haven't had a problem. The sound is just massive :)

[quote name='roonjuice' post='532683' date='Jul 4 2009, 11:01 PM']What gauge strings are the upper octave strings? Are they kinda guitar strings?[/quote]

The strings on the bass are SIT Power Wound Nickel. It's a boxed set made for 12 string bass. Other brands do their own 12 string sets as well.

The strings for the regular E A D G are .95 .75 .60 and .45

The .40 G has two .18 strings both tuned an octave above.
The .60 D has two .25 strings both tuned an octave above.
The .75 A has two .35 strings both tuned an octave above.
The .95 E has two .45 strings both tuned an octave above.

If you had .18, .25, .35 and .45 guitar strings lying around then you could fit them providing they were long enough.

It used to me mine and I'm sure 7-string won't mind if I add a little more eye candy to his shop window.

It's a great bass which I only sold to fund an ACG custom build (in fact I passed this bass on to 7string at the ACG workshops, when he was there to see progress on his ACG 9 string and I was there to collect my 5 string).

Well worth £300 of anyone's dosh.

I took this to a bassbash one time and stopped everyone in their tracks by playing Pearl Jam's "Jeremy" through a Little Mark and some BFM Omni cabs. It's a HUGE sound.

Good luck with the sale.

Edited by Scoop

Thanks Scoop.

It's a great bass to play and I've really enjoyed owning it. In a perfect world I'd keep it and pay out for the tricone. Unfortunately, it isn't a perfect world so the Dean's on the transfer list (as it were).

While I remember to say, won't be able to get online until tomorrow evening as the wife and I are off to watch the British Superbikes round at Knockhill. We went last year and it was a great day out. Luckily, my disabled Blue Badge means I can park close to the track :)