Why become a member? ×

Picking up a song by ear

GreeneKing

[quote name='4000' post='530965' date='Jul 2 2009, 06:20 PM']+1.

For what it's worth, I've never looked at tab or chord charts in my life. Everything by ear for nearly 30 years; I sometimes think if I didn't have such a good ear I might actually knuckle down and work on my theory and reading. :)[/quote]

I'm exactly the same - I never use tab because I pick songs up by ear really easily.

And yes, my theory has definitely taken a back seat - I can't even remember what the notes are called on the fretboard, apart from open strings or octaves thereof, which admittedly can be a little embarrassing when the lead guitarist says "this one's in C". :rolleyes:

[quote name='jakesbass' post='530964' date='Jul 2 2009, 07:18 PM']It really is that simple, but here's an elaboration:

I can play songs that I have only heard (never played before) because my ear-finger relationship has over the years become very quick.
I will listen to a song be able to sing the bass line, once it's firm in my head which [i]can[/i] be as few as 2 or 3 listens but usually more, and then I will be able to play it through with maybe one or two adjustments or close listens for the odd awkward note.

And it really boils down to being able to sing the bassline[/quote]
Exactly what I do - you don't need Jake's level of training to able to do this (thru, obviously it can't hurt)

Basically, if you can sing it you can play it!

Edited by peteb

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='530893' date='Jul 2 2009, 06:20 PM']I'm totally pants at listening to a song and working out the notes being played. I'm a little better at sorting the rhythm but that still leaves room for improvement.[/quote]

It's like sight reading. Don't try and work out the actual notes, listen to the intervals !

[quote name='pete.young' post='532047' date='Jul 3 2009, 09:31 PM']It's like sight reading. Don't try and work out the actual notes, listen to the intervals ![/quote]

At last...

To quickly learn a song you need to know where is it going so a couple of runs through should tell you where the tricky bits are and then you need to be able to 'read' the changes and intervals.

Playing with a well educated piano player will help here as well... this is a buskers gift, IMV
You have to be able to hear tone and half changes, stepped 4ths etc etc..

Follow some jazz progressions and with a bit of time and practise, you'll be able to hear where the song goes and play it in real time....

After that all you need to know is how the songs stacks and you can write that down if you want using the Nashville chart method..
Once you do that...you can transpose to any key.. so no problems with singers keys or brass

You'll soon have gigs coming out your ears and 'enjoy' being introduced to the band on the gig..

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='4000' post='530965' date='Jul 2 2009, 07:20 PM']+1.

For what it's worth, I've never looked at tab or chord charts in my life. Everything by ear for nearly 30 years; I sometimes think if I didn't have such a good ear I might actually knuckle down and work on my theory and reading. :)[/quote]

+1 That's how I've learn tunes for about 30 years as well. I've not got a clue with tab. I can learn most stuff by ear very quickly, if I struggle with a certain passage I might bung it through Best Practise and learn it that way.