Why become a member? ×

*SOLD*Ernie McMillen 4 string Jazz Bass FS/FT *SOLD*

Gareth Hughes

Hey All -

Here's one of my custom basses up for sale:

It's a Jazz Bass, made by a luthier, Ernie McMillen, at the Lowden Guitar factory in N.Ireland. (If you're not familiar with Lowden Guitars do a Google or ask a guitar playing friend, they're VERY highly respected instruments plus Lowden built Goodfellow basses from 1992-1996). It's a standard J shape, with a custom headstock. This same luthier built many of the Goodfellow basses when they were commissioned there.

Body is maple with an ebony cap on the front and a rosewood cap on the back. It has a brand new set of Wizard Hammers and an Audere preamp with stacked Vol and passive style tone control, stacked Bass and Treble and Blend.

Bridge is by ABM and sunk into the body. Bass has a Nigel Tufnel worthy amount of sustain.

Neck is a 5 piece: Maple Walnut Wenge(I think, or possibly Rosewood) Walnut Maple, with an Ebony fingerbard. Scale is 35inches. Strung last week with a set of Ken Smith medium gauge strings.

I had this bass made about 5 years ago and as much as I love it, I have 3 others made by the same guy, so something has to give.

Tone wise this bass has a very bright and strong mid-range and is quite fast speaking - due mostly to the maple I imagine. Naturally, without any preamp tweaks, its sits in Wal/Goodfellow land. With the preamp you can get a lot of variation -from modern burp to classic P-Bass to fat dub.

All in (with extra parts like the Audere, together with a set of Chrome Knobs, cost $220. That's about £150, plus shipping and whatever import duty I got stung for), this bass cost about £1400-1500 to get made so I'd be looking at around [s]£950[/s] [s]£800[/s] [b]£750[/b] with free shipping to mainland UK. Open for offers and trades. Will also include a Hiscox Hardcase.

Cheers, Gareth

AND NOW WITH ADDED SOUND: All tracks recorded with the Audere set flat, straight into GarageBand via an MBox Mini, and no-eq alterations/compression, etc.

STRUNG WITH GHS BRITE FLATS:

Audere Hi-Position:
[attachment=51740:MIx_HP_Fingers.mp3][attachment=51743:Mix_HP_Plec.mp3][attachment=51746:Neck_HP_Fin
gers.mp3][attachment=51747:Neck_HP_Plec.mp3][attachment=51741:Bridge_HP_Fingers.mp3]

Audere Mid-Position:
[attachment=51744:Mix_MP_Fingers.mp3][attachment=51745:MIx_MP_Plec.mp3][attachment=51736:Neck_MP_Fin
gers.mp3][attachment=51737:Neck_MP_Plec.mp3][attachment=51742:Bridge_MP_Fingers.mp3]

STRUNG WITH ROUNDWOUNDS- a set of worn in Ken Smith's (can't remember the type). Same as before, no alteration to tone, except on the Jamerson track, which has some bass boost and reduced high end.

Audere Mid Position
[attachment=51874:Bad_Marc...P_Mix_SL.mp3]
[attachment=51875:Forget_M...MP_Nk_SL.mp3]
[attachment=51882:OK_Jamer...ipOff___.mp3]
[attachment=51877:MP_Mix_F.mp3][attachment=51879:MP_Nk_F.mp3][attachment=51876:MP_Br_F.mp3]
[attachment=51878:MP_Mix_Pk.mp3]

Audere High Position
[attachment=51880:HP_Mix_F.mp3][attachment=51881:HP_Nk_F.mp3]

[attachment=28077:DSCF1336.JPG][attachment=28078:DSCF1338.JPG][attachment=28079:DSCF1337.JPG] [attachment=28081:DSCF1374.JPG][attachment=28084:DSCF1373.JPG][attachment=28083:DSCF1377.JPG]

Edited to correct my dodgy spelling

Edited by Gareth Hughes

Having briefly seen this bass in the flesh I can say that the pics don't do it justice.

You can see Gareth playing it with young guiturd god Simon McBride on Youtube (search for Simon Mcbride). Not stalking you G, honest!

Gareth's a great guy to deal with, btw.

Edited by Bigwan

Cheers for that Ian.

Indeed, here's the bass itself in a video on Youtube, recorded in Dingwalls in London last year:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSBYdYtd0pw&feature=related&fmt=18"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSBYdYtd0pw...ated&fmt=18[/url]

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='530508' date='Jul 2 2009, 12:40 PM']Cheers for that Ian.

Indeed, here's the bass itself in a video on Youtube, recorded in Dingwalls in London last year:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSBYdYtd0pw&feature=related&fmt=18"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSBYdYtd0pw...ated&fmt=18[/url][/quote]
Nice one, really enjoyed that.

Good luck with the sale.
Pete.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='530508' date='Jul 2 2009, 12:40 PM']Cheers for that Ian.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSBYdYtd0pw&feature=related&fmt=18"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSBYdYtd0pw...ated&fmt=18[/url][/quote]
nice playing ......... enjoyed it as you obviously did ...

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='628821' date='Oct 17 2009, 04:17 PM']Goose Bumps!!!!!!!![/quote]

Are these W4s humcancelling or single coils?

I'll help Gareth out here (he's a busy boy!). The W4's are hum cancelling. 1 coil per string actually. Great pickups and a FAN-F'ing-TASTIC bass. Gareth's comparison to a Wal is entirely justified. It's like a Wal and a really nice Jazz bass had a baby!

To answer the next question this bass would be mine already if I wasn't so totally smitten with my Lakland :) ...

[b]EDIT: The pickups are now Wizard Hammers. Audio tracks recorded with the new pickups.
[/b]
[quote name='BassKS' post='634383' date='Oct 23 2009, 12:50 PM']Are these W4s humcancelling or single coils?[/quote]

Hey BassKS -

Excuse the delay, as Bigwan said - I've been bloody busy - not that I'm complaining. A gig is a gig.

Anyway - yes, again as Bigwan said - the W4's are Bartolini's Quad coil pickups. Dead silent and wonderfully even across the neck, low to high and all in between.

Cheers, gareth

Edited by Gareth Hughes

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Thanks John, much appreciated.

New bump for new soundclips with Roundwounds.

Also to note that the bass now sports a brand new set of Wizard Hammers. All the tracks were recorded with the Wizards. I'll get some new photos up once I replace my defunct card reader.