Why become a member? ×

Which capacitors

[quote name='obbm' post='529766' date='Jul 1 2009, 05:16 PM']Does [url="http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/basses/0190209C/SD0190209CPg2.pdf"]this[/url] help?[/quote]

ive seen this but i cant find the caps they have there anywhere?

any ideas

thanks tho!

[quote name='attackbass' post='529796' date='Jul 1 2009, 05:33 PM']ive seen this but i cant find the caps they have there anywhere?

any ideas

thanks tho![/quote]

Sometimes you might still find those old value ceramic disc capacitors however the closest modern equivalents are 0.047uF and 0.033uF. The difference in values will have a minimal effect.

You can get 0.047 and 0.033 Sprague Orange Drop caps from Watford Valves.

Edited by obbm

[quote name='obbm' post='529813' date='Jul 1 2009, 05:53 PM']Sometimes you might still find those old value ceramic disc capacitors however the closest modern equivalents are 0.047uF and 0.033uF. The difference in values will have a minimal effect.

You can get 0.047 and 0.033 Sprague Orange Drop caps from Watford Valves.[/quote]
+1 on the sprague they sound beautiful

• 3 weeks later...

yes 47 and 33

i dont think anyone really uses all of the cap facility..ie using 'a bit of cut' so they seem fine

not being familiar with that pot layout i can see why the jazz is better with the separate caps and controls

well done fender

I think I managed to cook the cap in my 79/80's P bass whilst trying to solder it back on so need to get a replacement. Would one of the Sprague ones mentioned above do the job?

I had a look on evil bay and there is a guy selling 1uf orange caps on there, but their rating is like double the Sprague ones? I'm not really looking to change the tone at all. Advice always welcome :)

Ta

[quote name='Marky L' post='553644' date='Jul 28 2009, 10:25 AM']I think I managed to cook the cap in my 79/80's P bass whilst trying to solder it back on so need to get a replacement. Would one of the Sprague ones mentioned above do the job?
I had a look on evil bay and there is a guy selling 1uf orange caps on there, but their rating is like double the Sprague ones? I'm not really looking to change the tone at all. Advice always welcome :)
Ta[/quote]

go to a local tv repair shop...they will have drawers of caps
i like the green ones...0.047

[quote name='obbm' post='529813' date='Jul 1 2009, 05:53 PM']Sometimes you might still find those old value ceramic disc capacitors however the closest modern equivalents are 0.047uF and 0.033uF. The difference in values will have a minimal effect.

You can get 0.047 and 0.033 Sprague Orange Drop caps from Watford Valves.[/quote]

A bit cheaper at Axesrus: [url="http://www.axesrus.com/axeElectronicsCaps.htm"]http://www.axesrus.com/axeElectronicsCaps.htm[/url]

Watford Valves have a minimum parts order of £10 and minimum £4 postage, excluding VAT.

Jon.