Why become a member? ×

Markbass CMD151P

MoJoKe

Well, the GAS got the better of me, and I did it.

Yes, I know, by comparison to some of you out there this is a tiddler, but I've done all that before, several times. My first proper rig was a Kustom 250, complete with black quilting and a Fender 2x15 to die for (all the joints unglued with the battering I gave it, it literally shook itself to death!!) , and when pro in the 80's I used a trace 300w head with UV, 4x10 + 1x15 stack, but my poor 47 yr old back couldn't begin to load the car now (and anyway need to save my energy for wakeboarding!!).

So, I bid and won my CMD151P on the bay for £625. It arrived looking completely unused, complete with the QC tag on.

On first plug in (with an OBBM lead of course!) I fell in love. It is only 1kg heavier than a Roland Cube 100, and not much bigger either (a bit deeper), but bugger me is it ever loud! And the bottom end is earth moving!

I have never owned an amp (until now) which sounds perfect for all three basses (JV (Fender badged) Squier Precision, Wal Mach I Fretless and Dean Edge 5) with all the tone controls on flat response, and no effects or boosts. Play with the tone and the VLE/VPF and it does enything and punches through effortlessly with two guitarists.

It is simply amazing. Time will, of course, tell whether the little monster will shake itself to bits when gigged twice a week, but having gigged it twice now, I am delighted (understatement of the decade!!).

If anyone out there was wavering as to the "Do I go lightweight, and what will I lose if I do?" question, then have no fear, just get on and do it, and if you can possibly afford it make it one of these!!

Watch out, for a less biased, proper review later, when I am less excitable!!

Nice one. Hope you'll be happy with it.
Thats quite a jump from a 2x15 to the MB. I had the 151P cab a while back and hated it. This was the older, square version though, not the newer version.
Although it was very small and light it just didnt seem to have a nice tone. The lows were there but i felt it lacked mid range and just didnt cut through at a gig. That was the first time i have had to run my SA450 3/4 on the master and still the band were complaining they couldn't hear me. plus it kept moving around on stage (wooden un carpeted so i can understand why)
Still, we all have different tastes. sounds like you'll get on fine with it.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='55763' date='Sep 5 2007, 10:20 AM']Nice one. Hope you'll be happy with it.
Thats quite a jump from a 2x15 to the MB......[/quote]

Not so much a jump as a slow but invigorating sonic journey through time, interrupted only by various other un-satisfactory set-ups and varying degrees of poverty!!

On Wednesday I used the 151 at a particularly loud blues Jam night I go to occasionally, and at one point there were there were two harp players (should be locked up in my view - all mad as snakes!), and [b]four[/b] guitars. There was absolutely no problem with lack of punch. I am well used to the shaping effect caused by the VPF, from TE days (In fact, with it up too high, the amp feeds back way too easily!!!), and this will certainly detract from the midrange, but with it off, the sound can be made incredibly middly, even with my precision and particularly with my Wal (but then you'd have to be well surprised if it didn't!).

I'd quite like to try putting a valve pre-amp in front of it instead of relying on the VLE, as I can't seem to find a setting on this that doesn't make the sound muddy. Others experience or comment would be most welcome!

I tend to not push the VLE on my LMII much past 12 o 'clock unless I particularly want a reggae-ish mudfest. about 9-10 o' clock is great for taming the mids on my active Cort for swing and big band stuff ( I use a 2x10 though, so it may be a bit much with a 15) I've recently been experimenting with using the tube setting on an EBS Multicomp ( formerly owned by Urb) which adds a nice warmth.

Cheers,
Alun

[quote name='Alun' post='56927' date='Sep 7 2007, 12:52 PM']I tend to not push the VLE on my LMII much past 12 o 'clock unless I particularly want a reggae-ish mudfest. about 9-10 o' clock is great for taming the mids on my active Cort for swing and big band stuff ( I use a 2x10 though, so it may be a bit much with a 15) I've recently been experimenting with using the tube setting on an EBS Multicomp ( formerly owned by Urb) which adds a nice warmth.

Cheers,
Alun[/quote]

That's interesting I have a CMD102P and was thinking of trying an EBS multicomp. I would be very interested in your opinions on this combination. I also find the VLE at about 1pm very useful with my jazz bass.

[quote name='lonestar' post='57181' date='Sep 7 2007, 08:15 PM']That's interesting I have a CMD102P and was thinking of trying an EBS multicomp. I would be very interested in your opinions on this combination. I also find the VLE at about 1pm very useful with my jazz bass.[/quote]

The VLE definitely seems to have a more positive effect on my passive Precision, less so on the Wal and DE5, but the both actives are [b]very[/b] active!

Has anyone any experience with the DHA Valve units...? Dave, perhaps I could have a tryout? :)

[quote name='MoJoKe' post='57251' date='Sep 8 2007, 12:05 AM']The VLE definitely seems to have a more positive effect on my passive Precision, less so on the Wal and DE5, but the both actives are [b]very[/b] active!

Has anyone any experience with the DHA Valve units...? Dave, perhaps I could have a tryout? :)[/quote]

You would be welcome to try one out. give me a ring

Dave