Why become a member? ×

Jim Mullen benefit

jakenewmanbass

Hi all, I've just received a facebook message informing me that Jim has had an operation and has been advised not work for a month, so a benefit has been organised at the 606 and will feature a bunch of Londons fine Jazz musicians.
I've played with Jim a few times and as well as being a dynamite guitarist he's also a lovely guy. If you find yourself at a loose end and could get to Chelsea tonight it would be a worthy visit.
I'm going.
Jake

Its tonight 29th June, 90 Lots road SW10

Edited by jakesbass

Jake
I've only just stumbled on this thread - what a bummer that Jim is out of action. Please keep us informed if you hear any more.
He came up and played with our trio last year - what a lovely guy! I was a big fan in the 80's when he had the Morrisey-Mullen band. Saw them a couple of times at the Band on the Wall. Jim is a national treasure.

I hope its not too serious.......?

The Major

I shared a stage with Jim once - can't say we played together tho' - he played a whole load of standards I had never heard of, without charts, at tempos that would strip paint. Nobody died but it sounded like a dogs breakfast to me.

Hope he gets well soon tho'...

• 1 month later...

Is Jim OK and playing again?

I try to see Terry Callier most times he comes over and Jim is his first call guitarist - in fact so much so that if Jim isn't available Terry just plays without a guitarist :rolleyes:

I love Jim's technique, I could happily go to see him just to watch 'how' he plays as much as to listen to what he's actually playing :)

His band is scheduled to play a Birmingham Jazz gig on Friday 23rd October at Symphony Hall in the foyer. A free gig that starts at 5.30 usually.

I'm probably going to finish work early to get up to Birmingham to see it. I played a support slot to him once and I loved his playing.