Why become a member? ×

The Matt Sharp Jazz Bass Build!

umcoo

So being a big fan of the mighty Weezer, I decided to build a signature bass of their first bassist, Matt Sharp. I decided on making his backup bass (his main bass was a heavily distressed 60's Jazz body, which is neither easy to find, or cheap). His backup was a Mexican Fender Jazz blue body, Schecter Monstertone pickups and a Warmoth tele bass neck. It looked like this....

So when Fender started making Lake Placid Blue bodies again last year, I thought now is a better time than any to have a go. I searched high and low for the Monstertone pickups. Found some in Sweden, but the guy never replied to me, then by chance, found some over in the states and paid for them. 9 weeks has passed since that, and they still haven't shown up (thanks USPS).

The body and miscellaneous stuff (pickguard, control plate etc) came from a guy on Ebay, and the Warmoth neck followed soon after. I gave up on the Monstertones and ordered some Wizard 84's. Put on a Gotoh 201 bridge and some Hipshot HB2's and she was ready to roll.

Here's a fair few pics of the build and the final piece! Oh, and it sounds bitchin!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='527063' date='Jun 28 2009, 08:58 PM']I spotted the Orange with the Matt photo too. Isnt that and early AD200b? He still uses that with his latest bands....I think he lends it to is current bassist.[/quote]

Ahh sorry bro, Matts amp is late 60's/early 70's Orange Matamp. 200watts of old Matamp power. I've seen 2 for sale, and they're not cheap. The last one I saw belonged to Jimmy Page and sold for $30,000. And yeh, it's still used when he plays with the Rentals.

[quote name='DanOwens' post='527172' date='Jun 28 2009, 10:32 PM']I love tele headstocks and LPB so this is quite a treat. I don't know much of Weezer's work, but this bass looks sweet![/quote]

Dan, Matt Sharp only played on the bands first 2 albums, which are IMO the best pieces of music ever made. But then, I would say that :)