Why become a member? ×

Lefay Remington Steel fretless Basses

wombatboter

I had already heard about Lefay basses and I had checked out the fretted Capone many years ago.
Around three or four years ago I visited the European Bass Day and my attention was immediately drawn to one bass with a great special look.
I asked the builder if I could try one and after one minute I knew I had to have one. I have tried hundreds of fretless basses (owned several) but these Lefay Remington basses are simply amazing... endless sustain (studiotechnicians are amazed by the length of the outfading note at the end of a song), the playability is effortless, the controls really easy (this bass is passive) and though the stainless steel-neck would suggest it sounds cold and hi fi, it's quite the opposite.
A warm mellow tone referring to a sound between a Jazz and a Music Man.
Reiner Dobbratz of Lefay build me a five string but I needed a fourstring too so a year later the other one arrived. Bassplayers who try out my fretless basses are floored by the sound. To me it's the best fretless bass on earth and though I also love my Wal fretless bass the Lefay bass gets to be played more often...They are not cheap (prices from 3000 euros when I bought them) but they are worth every penny and Reiner Dobbratz of Lefay is a great person to deal with.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='526689' date='Jun 28 2009, 01:31 PM']Fantastic!

That's one of my must-try basses.

Is the fingerboard simply stainless steel, or something a bit more exotic like the Delta Metal that the Vigiers use?

Thanks for posting those photos.[/quote]

The fingerboard is indeed simply stainless steel....
Find the cat in this picture..