Why become a member? ×

Musicman Sub 5 with East pre-amp.

obbm

I bought this is a fit of madness thinking I needed a spare 5-string but in reality I don't and as my gigging is going to be curtailed shortly it's up for sale again.

More picture [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=51796&hl="]at the original thread.[/url]

Its history is well known to the Forum. It's a Musicman Sub 5 stripped of its tasteless black paint and electrically upgraded with a custom John East MM style 3-band pre-amp which has bass, treble and Swept Mid. With the latter in its centre detent position you get pretty much a 5-string with a classic 2-band MM sound. I'm pretty sure the neck is exactly the same dimensions and profile as a stock SR5.

It comes complete with soft case, original pre-amp, clear scratch-plate.

Last time it was up for sale silverfoxnik posted:

[quote]This very nice vintage 'Ray look was created by the Beedster and the John East pre was built to his spec too, so it's quite a unique bass. My memory of it is that it had a lot of tonal variety thanks to the sweepable mid e.q. and it was light and comfortable to play.. One other good thing was that for a 34" scale bass, the B string is really excellent on this, as it is on a lot of Stingrays.. Oh, and I sold it on because I wanted a passive 5 string, otherwise I would have kept it.

Gave me a bit of nostalgia seeing it just now I must admit and it has had a few BC owners who may well feel the same; Beedster, me, WalMan, JoJo Bass (I think) etc, etc.. So it's done the rounds, but don't let that put you off..It's a good bass!

Gave me a bit of nostalgia seeing it just now I must admit and it has had a few BC owners who may well feel the same; Beedster, me, WalMan, JoJo Bass (I think) etc, etc.. So it's done the rounds, but don't let that put you off..It's a good bass!

Good luck with the sale; certainly a lot of bass for the money![/quote]

I agree it is an excellent bass.

£400 plus postage if required or could be interested in trades, etc. Try me.

PS. I hope nick80 won't mind me using his pictures. It's such a nice garden.

Edited by obbm

[quote name='steve-king' post='526557' date='Jun 28 2009, 10:36 AM']Hi, please excuse the ignorance from a novice, but when you say a SR5 profile neck, do you mean as you would find on an Ibanez?

Thanks,

Steve[/quote]

SR5 is a common abbreviation for the "Musicman Stingray 5" or more correctly the "Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 5", which is a bit of a mouthfull.

[quote name='voxpop' post='527425' date='Jun 29 2009, 08:32 AM']Would you like to exchange basses...................I have a very taste Windmill 4 string Jazz.

Marc[/quote]

pm answered.

Wednesday bump.

This is a great bass. Does no-one have anything interesting to trade?

If it doesn't go then I'll have to break it up and sell the parts.

I would have really been interested in this - as I have been the other times its been on here. I much prefer the look of a 4 string ray to a 5. However this bass is destined not to be mine as it always comes up at the wrong time - and this time is no exception. Sorry mate - have a bump!

Ah, such memories! Classy bass for the money, I'd still have it if it didn't have frets and had only four strings. Great gigging bass, loads of tonal options - the East preamp is outstanding, at least 100 times better than the original (and installed by the man himself).

Best of all, and unlike all SR5s, it looks AND SOUNDS like a Stingray :)