Why become a member? ×

Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

JonnyM

Anyone own or tried a Sonic Research Turbo Tuner? (The ST-200 stomp box version). Talkb***-ers seem to rave about them :)

Is it worth the extra £££ (approx £80 more than a Korg Pitchblack!) [url="http://www.theguitarstoreonline.co.uk/stockfx.html"]ST 200 (about 2/3rds down the page!)[/url]

Have used a true strobe tuner in a studio recently and it was very fast & accurate...quite nice to have one on my board, but at that price, I could get a Pitchblack and a bunch of other stuff...

Any opinions?

[quote name='rslaing' post='525784' date='Jun 27 2009, 10:39 AM']This will be interesting.........after the war that broke out in the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=49834&hl=best+tuner"]thread about tuners[/url][/quote]

Oops, I fear I've re-opened a can o' worms... and in the wrong category too!

Mods please move to Misc Accessories, I was thinking "stompboxes...something extra on my pedalboard..." when I posted.

Thanks for that link rslaing, will wade through it later :)

Edited by JonnyM

[quote name='JonnyM' post='525770' date='Jun 27 2009, 10:25 AM']Is it worth the extra £££ (approx £80 more than a Korg Pitchblack!) [url="http://www.theguitarstoreonline.co.uk/stockfx.html"]ST 200 (about 2/3rds down the page!)[/url][/quote]
If you get it [url="http://www.turbo-tuner.com/"]direct from Sonic Research in the US[/url], it's only US$153.99 including shipping, which works out just under £95. Even if you get stung by customs, it's still not going to be more than about £120. Not a huge saving on the £135 option, but it all counts.

the turbo tuner certainly seems to [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bY9H7ec6_0"]track quickly[/url]

i like the idea of a tuner shoot out...maybe something any BCers with different types of tuners could try (i've only got a boss tu-2 and a behringer clone, so no real contest there)

Edited by ahpook

I have one, very quick very well built, after customs was too much money, can't turn on without muting which is a shame because I got it to help with fretless pitching, have you use my tuner out function. Can't power other pedals like the korg can.

It's pretty cool though I'm glad I got it

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='525965' date='Jun 27 2009, 02:26 PM']If you get it [url="http://www.turbo-tuner.com/"]direct from Sonic Research in the US[/url], it's only US$153.99 including shipping, which works out just under £95. Even if you get stung by customs, it's still not going to be more than about £120. Not a huge saving on the £135 option, but it all counts.[/quote]
Ta fer that - guess the £ is improving so this could be an option...

[quote name='odub' post='526213' date='Jun 27 2009, 07:34 PM']I have one, very quick very well built, after customs was too much money, can't turn on without muting which is a shame because I got it to help with fretless pitching, have you use my tuner out function. Can't power other pedals like the korg can.

It's pretty cool though I'm glad I got it[/quote]

Hmmm, doesn't sound [i]perfect[/i] for you though :) so if you ever want to sell...

[quote name='ahpook' post='525781' date='Jun 27 2009, 10:35 AM']what does £80 more in tune than the pitchblack sound like ?[/quote]

:)

It might be worth having for intonation adjustments, although I've got a Boss TU12 that I use for setups which is pretty cheap and it's always been perfectly good. I use a Planet Waves pedal tuner on stage because it's very visible and does the job, I don't think you need especially high accuracy on stage.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='526475' date='Jun 28 2009, 03:28 AM']:rolleyes:

It might be worth having for intonation adjustments, although I've got a Boss TU12 that I use for setups which is pretty cheap and it's always been perfectly good. I use a Planet Waves pedal tuner on stage because it's very visible and does the job, I don't think you need especially high accuracy on stage.[/quote]

Oh dear, here we go again.....

:)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='526475' date='Jun 28 2009, 03:28 AM']:rolleyes:

It might be worth having for intonation adjustments, although I've got a Boss TU12 that I use for setups which is pretty cheap and it's always been perfectly good. I use a Planet Waves pedal tuner on stage because it's very visible and does the job, I don't think you need especially high accuracy on stage.[/quote]

I'm guessing you've accumulated these over time, but I've only got a tiny crap - ie temperamental - tuner and as I said, am looking to get a good one for my board, so for a few extra quid I could get a really good one that'll cover everything. My only worry is that our guitard will want to borrow it for set-ups... :)

[quote name='JonnyM' post='526565' date='Jun 28 2009, 10:49 AM']I'm guessing you've accumulated these over time, but I've only got a tiny crap - ie temperamental - tuner and as I said, am looking to get a good one for my board, so for a few extra quid I could get a really good one that'll cover everything.[/quote]

Fair point. I originally bought the TU12 so I could also use it for acoustic instruments, it did live on my board briefly but squinting at the needle wasn't that practical...

well, my pedalboard plits the signal in two. One for the tuner and one for the effects, then to the amp. I then have a mute pedal in the effects chain for silent tuning. So my pedaboard works with pretty much every tuner! I can use it for fretless pitching (if i ever get one).