Why become a member? ×

Favourite Bassists Control Settings

JBassist

Well I've watched Linley Marthe (Zawinul's bassist) up close and noticed that with a Jazz he played the volume of the bridge PU full on. The tone control was not adjusted but I assume that was full -on and he adjusted tone by bringing in the neck pu volume when he wanted a more bassy tone and turned it down when he wanted articulation.

That's one way of using V/V/T on any bass.

Davo

Being told what control settings to use really won't help much, if at all. You have to listen and adjust how you play, and how you set the knobs on both bass and amp. But playing the bass the right way is the most important bit. And the bass/mid/treble/etc knobs all do different things on different amps.

Alex

Maybe I'm having a hay-fever riddled angry day so sorry in advance... but... this is *really* stupid. What you hear on a recording has got almost nothing to do with what his "settings" are. Live in the something-academy evern less probably. It's down to thousands of pounds of digital processing gear (that you don't have) and a lots-by-the-hour sound engineer.