Why become a member? ×

Ibanez ATK-300

JBassist

[quote name='JBassist' post='521990' date='Jun 23 2009, 07:33 PM']Any one got any views on them[/quote]

I used to have the 5 string version. Very nice basses and very versatile tonewise. Everything from a traditional thumpy P tone, through to a very passable Stingray tone.

They're heavy though, and the necks a quite chunky - more P than J.

I've also got the 5-string version. It's a very nice bass to play, string spacing on the 5'er is a little too close, but great tone, and bags of sustain if you string thru-body.

I'll also echo Simon1964's comments about how heavy and chunky it is, but YMMV :)

The active tone controls are good, a little hissy with the pickup selector switch in Single-Coil mode, but lots of scope to dial in the tone you want.

Give it a go and see what you think! Let us know how you get on

HTH, Ian

[quote name='Bottle' post='522341' date='Jun 24 2009, 09:30 AM']I've also got the 5-string version. It's a very nice bass to play, string spacing on the 5'er is a little too close, but great tone, and bags of sustain if you string thru-body.

I'll also echo Simon1964's comments about how heavy and chunky it is, but YMMV :)

The active tone controls are good, a little hissy with the pickup selector switch in Single-Coil mode, but lots of scope to dial in the tone you want.

Give it a go and see what you think! Let us know how you get on

HTH, Ian[/quote]

i bought it before i posted this and i was just wondering how you guys thought about it

i absolutly love the bass its got some many tones, i got it so high pitched last night i got a migrane lol
the only thing i dont like is that the pickup is quite hard to balance on for those fast easy punk songs
but overall i would recomed this 2 anyone

btw on the switch on the atk what does triad and attack mean

thanks
xxx
xx
x

[quote name='JBassist' post='522679' date='Jun 24 2009, 03:47 PM']btw on the switch on the atk what does triad and attack mean[/quote]

The Trad setting (switch towards the neck) puts the pickup into Single Coil mode with a hi-cut filter. The Bright setting (switch centred) is the same but with the filter disabled. The Attack setting (switch towards the bridge) forces the pickup into humbucking mode. There's an excellent diagram on the Ibanez website which explains how the triple-coil pickup works

HTH

Ian

I have three Japanese-made ATK's and I love them (two of them are in my avatar). Very punchy, edgy and they look and feel great. I have a '98 ATK305 and '96 and '97 ATK300's. The '96 is my favourite, it sounds the most resonant and a slight bit warmer than the other two. I like the 5-string the least of the three, the lows are fat and powerful but the highs are a bit cold and too tight to my ears.

I played one on my last visit to Guitarguitar in Glasgow. Other than the Sadowsky on the wall it was the best bass in the place. Beat the stingrays in the place into a very poor 2nd... 5 string sounded great too but tight string spacing.