Why become a member? ×

Factory tour of Spector basses

Kiwi

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

hmm. cnc machines. that is just lazy. in my stupid opinion, any guitar touched by a computer is not a handmade guitar. every 'handmade guitar should be one of a kind. the human eye, ear, and hand is unable to detect such low levels of tolerance, but is more than capable of sensing the work of human hands, which is the key to a really nice bass. interesting. there's a wal bass for sale on here at the mo that has people trying to sell their mothers. i wonder if wal used cnc's???

[quote name='Wil' post='1043312' date='Dec 1 2010, 08:39 AM']Well, that's your view and you're entitled to it, but it seems pretty crazy to me. I don't see a downside to using all the excellent technology available in addition to human experience in order to create a high quality instrument.[/quote]
i just think we rely too much on these things. a computer cares not what it does. and you think a design is 'right' so you program your machine and off you go. no more 'happy mistakes', and a sterile product. i'm not dissing spector by any degree. just my thoughts.

Surely though a CNC is programmed to do just what the luthier wants it to do? Once they've perfected their design they can make a machine reproduce that design perfectly, every time. Most luthiers will still finish the bass off and set it up by hand anyway.

[quote name='Wil' post='1043404' date='Dec 1 2010, 09:54 AM']Surely though a CNC is programmed to do just what the luthier wants it to do? Once they've perfected their design they can make a machine reproduce that design perfectly, every time. Most luthiers will still finish the bass off and set it up by hand anyway.[/quote]
there no such thing as a perfect design. things should constantly evolve. again, just my opinion.

True, but I suppose it depends what you want from a manufacturer. Spector for instance have a core design that they've tweaked over the years, but when you purchase an NS Spector, you expect it to feel and sound like an NS Spector. I suppose the other end of the scale is someone like Carl Thompson where you get whatever the luthier creates for you and any deviations from design along the way are considered part of the character.

[quote name='Wil' post='1043428' date='Dec 1 2010, 10:05 AM']True, but I suppose it depends what you want from a manufacturer. Spector for instance have a core design that they've tweaked over the years, but when you purchase an NS Spector, you expect it to feel and sound like an NS Spector. I suppose the other end of the scale is someone like Carl Thompson where you get whatever the luthier creates for you and any deviations from design along the way are considered part of the character.[/quote]
definately, you have hit the nail on the head.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

In fairness Spector have never claimed to be handmade and they certainly are not in any way, but they are fine high end instruments never the less. the only question to ask is do they deserve the high price tag that they get when you can have a true handmade bass for around the same or cheaper? but they sell so I recon the consumer has spoken! lol

ok i take that back, they do claim to be handmade, doh! lol

Edited by harleyheath

• 1 year later...