Why become a member? ×

Fingerboard conversions.

Kongo

Y'know, after trying 15 some basses I came to the realisation I LOVE maple fingerboards!
The density, snappy percussiveness and the beautiful looks have got me for a spin and playing my other Rosewood board basses...well...going back somethings amiss!

I've heard many players say about how they converted one board wood to another.
Who can do this, what does it cost and can any fingerboard be done?
I'd LOVE my BTB to have a maple board, also matching it's body. :)

That's it really.
Cheers.

Edited by Kongo

It [i]should[/i] be a fairly straightforward job.
Some luthiers and manufacturers use hide glue to attach their 'boards, which makes for easy removal.
Otherwise, Mr Router comes along and will chew it off!!
The only catch comes with vintage instruments (and faithful re-issues), which might have a one-piece neck/fretboard and have their truss-rod inserted through a genuine "skunk stripe" in the back of the neck.

I, too like Maple boards, but only my cheapest 2 basses have them (a Squier VMJ and an OLP MM3)

[quote name='bartelby' post='521390' date='Jun 23 2009, 06:38 AM']I love maple fretboards too. But all my basses have rosewood. I was looking to see if Ibanez had ever done a bolt on BTB 5 string with maple and I was going to swap necks...[/quote]

Well in the USA they do a 4 and 5-string BTB with a maple neck, with black binding!
But good luck with the neck, bridge is one thing but a neck...Ibanez are VERY funny about selling these due to Chibanez increases.
You'd need to give em your serial no. and even then, it'd only be a replacement of closest match, as yours, like mine, is discontinued.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='521456' date='Jun 23 2009, 09:36 AM']It [i]should[/i] be a fairly straightforward job.
Some luthiers and manufacturers use hide glue to attach their 'boards, which makes for easy removal.
Otherwise, Mr Router comes along and will chew it off!!
The only catch comes with vintage instruments (and faithful re-issues), which might have a one-piece neck/fretboard and have their truss-rod inserted through a genuine "skunk stripe" in the back of the neck.

I, too like Maple boards, but only my cheapest 2 basses have them (a Squier VMJ and an OLP MM3)[/quote]

+1, jus look in my sig.
My P-bass I put a maple board on but only use at home...until I bought a 2nd hand OLP MM3 from here and used it in the band...Mmm the maple on it is NICE!
Ok then, luthier it is...Any clue on costs? this IS in the near future and not right now. :)

The only issue is the fretboard has a unique shape, but I'm sure any decent luthier could re-create that. :rolleyes:

[quote name='paul h' post='521360' date='Jun 23 2009, 01:10 AM']There is a list of luthiers in the wiki, some of whom post here. You gotta love the maple! :lol:

[url="http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:tech:luthiers"]http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:tech:luthiers[/url][/quote]

There's a Leicester boy on there...but he only seems to deal in guitars and only repairs, no conversions or the like.

Overwater may not be a bad option?
But I'll mail some of these luthiers and have a look see soon.

Defo worth looking into guys...maple is sooooooo underused nowerdays (once the standard) and I think it's a shame...it complements many basses and the feel is awesome.
Plus, being the fingerboard that gets sealed, nothing gets in the pores!
A bonus when you consider.

Edited by Kongo