Why become a member? ×

Squarepusher: Solo Electric Bass 1

jmesa

Very nice!

Squarepusher’s excursions as a solo bass virtuoso will be immortalised with the forthcoming release of 'Solo Electric Bass 1', out on August 17th on Limited CD and Digital.

This live recording was taken from one of his spellbinding solo bass performances at Cité de la Musique, Paris in September 2007. A performance that only consists of Squarepusher on stage with a bass and a small amp.

It should be noted that the recording of this bare live show has been represented in its truest form ie. in one take with no editing afterwards. All compositions on this record are his own.

This strictly limited release is a rare documentation for fans of the 'pusher and anyone who wishes to explore some highly interesting, and technically astounding compositions with the bass guitar. Anyone who has witnessed him live will already know of his mesmerising unique style which he incorporates into his big production live shows.

Squarepusher’s progression to this pure musical form has always been hinted at in his recording work prior to this release; with instrumental tracks on Ultravisitor such as 'I Fulcrum' and 'Andrei', the jazz trio sets of his 2005 UK tour and his first solo bass performance in Turin the same year alongside the London Sinfonietta, as time has gone on Tom Jenkinson – Squarepusher - has voiced his exploration of this expression more and more culminating in a small European tour in 2007 which included a sold out headline performance at the Royal Festival Hall.

[quote name='jmesa' post='517675' date='Jun 18 2009, 06:27 PM']Squarepusher’s excursions as a solo bass virtuoso will be immortalised with the forthcoming release of 'Solo Electric Bass 1', out on August 17th on Limited CD and Digital.[/quote]

Well, all the warning signs are there: use of the word ' [i]virtuoso[/i]' '[i]immortal[/i]' and '[i]pure[/i]' -and if that wasn't enough a title that suggests the threat of more to come ' Solo electric Bass 1' :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='517728' date='Jun 18 2009, 07:24 PM']This should be interesting. I don't usually go for solo bass records but it'll be nice to hear what he can do without a mile-high rack of Eventide gear and enough processing power to fly a fighter jet. :)[/quote]

From what little i have seen he is still sh*t hot.

[quote name='jmanfunk' post='517940' date='Jun 18 2009, 09:51 PM']I love Mr. Jenkinsons' production wizardry but as a purely solo performer? I still need to be convinced as to his song writing capabilities.

[/quote]

Hmm yes,i dont know why he doesnt just use a nylon strung classical guitar for this one,i still love some of his stuff though.

[quote name='YouMa' post='517954' date='Jun 18 2009, 11:00 PM']Hmm yes,i dont know why he doesnt just use a nylon strung classical guitar for this one,i still love some of his stuff though.[/quote]

It's a very guitary sound all right. I think he has some great techniques (speedy thumbing, dexterity etc) -but if I can offer some criticism - the combination of the hard, clanky sound, combined with his rather hurried timing (which means he misses a lot of his targets)...well I think it makes for a difficult listen. Also if you're looking towards him as some sort of new bass saviour, his tunes tend to move in a curiously traditional, classical, harmonic way and there are few suprises in the way of unusual note intervals and chord progressions.

He has bass superpowers - that's obvious - but I don't think I'll be buying the CD. Just doesn't grab me enough and I have to say I prefer his programming innovations which are far more extreme.

[quote name='wesfinn' post='517738' date='Jun 18 2009, 07:35 PM']this show was absolutely fantastic! well worth buying people![/quote]

I saw the set at the Southbank with Evan Parker around the same time. Ear shreddingly loud!

Edited by jmesa

• 1 month later...

Saw the man this weekend in Winchester.. absolutely sick!!

The guy makes it look so easy.. totally killed it. The guy playing drums for him was amazing again as well.

Nothing like a Musicman Sabre at 120dB ! :)

Edited by jmesa