Why become a member? ×

Mesa 400+ HELP PLEASE!

Huw10

just used my new (second hand) mesa for the first tiome in practice and it didn't go so good. Was just delivered on Monday.

The issue:

left it for a good 7-8 mins to warm up then took it off stand by. messed around with the settings a little then we started playing a tune. 3 notes in it cuts out. checked the fuse and it was blown... replaced this fuse.

Second time, pretty much exactly the same. Waited less time before taking it off standby though coz the tubes were already warmed up. Replaced the fuse. switched to the other output jack.

Third time struck the first note before even playing a song and blew another fuse.

Was using it with an 8ohm trace elliot cab out of one of the 8 ohm jacks? is this correct?

Can anybody help me with trouble shooting this problem as i've got a gig tomorrow and i'd really like to play it. My thoughts are that i could be loose tubes or the wrong output jack? can anybody help plese?

Are you sure that it's an 8 ohm cab? If you retube you'll need to rebias the amp which is not something I'd attempt!

Sounds like you need an amp tech. The Boogie distributer is Westside, in Glasgow. They should be able to help.

[quote name='chris_b' post='517402' date='Jun 18 2009, 02:08 PM']...If you retube you'll need to rebias the amp which is not something I'd attempt!...[/quote]

In the Bass 400+ manual it says "Amplifier bias has been permanently set at the factory and should never need adjustment"
That should help to make things a little easier!

edit:quote correction

Edited by jonthebass