Why become a member? ×

EB-00

henry norton

I've been thinking about doing this long before I got hold of an EB-0. Now I've got one I can't put it down and the old Precision has been relegated to the wardrobe. Here's a pic of the cover in place, now all I've got to do is cut the hole. I'll start with just the 2 pickups and 2 volumes but will eventually try series/parallel/single and perhaps some active stuff.

Thanks Steve, Yeah, the Rotosounds are really good - I never got on that well with flats before, even though I played fretless exclusively for quite a few years. At the moment I switch between the two sets depending on what I'm playing. I can't think of a better excuse to get another bass to be honest....

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='516869' date='Jun 17 2009, 09:48 PM']I've put a Dimarzio model 1 at the bridge on a P bass (custom narrow spacing on the bridge) and it sounds really nicely defined and you can get some nice squealy harmonics if thats your bag (even on a bass tuned down to A).[/quote]

Yeah I was hoping it would sound good but without sounding 'just like a Musicman/G&L/universal long scale bass' type of thing. That's quite encouraging. I've got a model one on its way which will hopefully find itself onto an EB-2 / Starfire semi hollow type bass when I get around to making it. Actually I want to build a maple veneered one with the model one and an ebony or walnut veneered one with a Darkstar, or maybe a pair of EMG HBs and an active tone circuit. Oh, and I need a new fretless too.

Oops, I think I've hijacked my own thread

[quote name='Guy!!' post='518123' date='Jun 19 2009, 10:50 AM']Slightly off topic here, but were you able to find a gig bag for this bass? Im having trouble finding one that the head will fit in, hes quite wide at the top.. and the epiphone bag is apparently rubbish =S[/quote]
No I haven't. I guess it's because most short scales are either too cheap to warrant the cost of a good gig bag or vintage instruments usually hauled around in flight cases. If I ever come across one on my travels I'll post it up.

Tis done! I'm pleased with the way it looks although the strange thing is the bridge pickup (acquired from this very forum) actually sounds louder and darker than the neck. The impedance is more or less the same but the bridge pup has been hot rodded with, (or was maybe made with) 4 bar magnets instead of the two of the stock (neck) pickup. It just shows you what a difference magnets and suchlike make. The next job is now to swap them over so the darker pup is by the neck and the brighter is at the bridge.

One thing that's come out of it is because I have a thumb rest nearer the bridge now, my playing sounds brighter and clearer.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='520197' date='Jun 21 2009, 08:42 PM']Good result, briliant idea to swap the pups.
Well done. :)

PS, you look a lot younger than I thought. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Thanks mate! I always thought the Gibson mini humbucker looked a bit lost on the old EB-3. I'm not sure of the benefits yet but I'll see how this swap over goes.

Ahh yes, the picture was of number one son; similar looking to me but without the 39 years in the University Of Life.

nice work mate what i think is good is that the oversized cover on the old epi massive soapbar thingies is that they would hide the routing which is good becuase it means you don't have to re paint it like you would with an "ordinary" bass pickup if you see what i mean. haha i said that guy here should do this on his bass, you don't have to though guy i mean it's your bass but maybe it'd be a bit of fun if we ever got bored sometime lol. Do you think this is a big improvement on sound then or anything TS? Also i had you down for a middle aged dad sort of guy, i suppose it's because most of the people on here are lol.

Yeah the covers are so massive you could just about squeeze a split coil Precision pickup under there - maybe even a hi tech soapbar if you wanted clean sounds with grungey looks. I'm not sure about the sound yet as I'm going to swap the sweeter sounding Epiphone pickup around with the souped up aftermarket one I put in the bridge position. At the moment the bridge sounds bassier than the neck! I'll keep y'all posted

Swapped the massive output, hugely magnetted aftermarket pickup with the relatively sweet, trebly Epiphone EB-0, so I now have the epi on bridge duty and the monster one on neck. The bass plays fantastically now and can do Jaco harmonics, Level 42 fonky stuff and Cream style wooly fuzz bass, all with 2 volume controls and no tone!!! Well chuffed. I suppose Epiphone must have cut down on the windings and magnets on their version in order to give the bass a clearer (slightly) more versatile voice, 'cos I was shocked and stunned at the difference between two (what I thought were) identical pickups.

Anyway, I got the result I wanted so very pleased.

[quote name='Jarhead' post='521873' date='Jun 23 2009, 06:14 PM']If I were you I'd upgrade the bridge to a Hipshot unit, the one they make for Gibsons/Epiphones, think its the Supertone(?), apparently the difference is night and day, and it feels much more secure, less likely to come out etc.

Zach[/quote]

Yeah I might try it at some point - it's certainly had good reviews, although it costs nearly as much as the bass did!

That Epiphone looks excellent, I really like the way it looks with the two full sized humbuckers instead of the mini humbucker that the EB-3 has in the bridge. I've long been thinking about doing something similar with one of the Squier Telecaster basses

Can't say I approve of your son's choice of shirt though :)

Edited by Jono Bolton

[quote name='Jono Bolton' post='526131' date='Jun 27 2009, 07:04 PM']That Epiphone looks excellent, I really like the way it looks with the two full sized humbuckers instead of the mini humbucker that the EB-3 has in the bridge. I've long been thinking about doing something similar with one of the Squier Telecaster basses

Can't say I approve of your son's choice of shirt though :rolleyes:[/quote]
Thanks Jono, yeah the bass has a pretty broad range of usable sounds now - I hope to get some more variation with some coil switching when I get some time. I'd definitely try it with a Tele bass, both for the sound and the look.

BTW, the shirt was a gift from our neighbours (they're from Linwood). You probably wouldn't even have answered the post if you knew what team he really supports :)