Why become a member? ×

Strap button screws constantly coming loose!

So basically, the first thing I did when I got my Jazz was to put strap locks on it. This was also the first thing I did to my Thunderbird.

To begin with, no problems, but then in time both sets of screws started to come loose, to a point where the whole screw would just come out. Not good if you're rocking a show :).

I've done the match stick trick, I've glued the wood in place and then just scerwed it back in but it seems to be getting worse and worse on my Jazz and to be honest I'm getting sick of it.

I'm sure others must have encountered this problem, how did you over come it? I have heard that using a wood filler would be a good idea, opinions please!

Cheers,
Rich

I had a precision years ago with a similar prob.
But the match-stick trick worked for that one?
I think providing the match stick is thick enough to "force" in with some gentle and careful persuasion,
and "glued" with some good quality PVA adhesive, then allowed to dry overnight before attempting to rescrew it!
Worked for me.

Db

[quote name='neepheid' post='516276' date='Jun 17 2009, 11:34 AM']Cocktail sticks are made of stronger wood than matches and are better for this particular fix.[/quote]

+1 to cocktail sticks and white wood glue (not superglue).

Remove the screw and clear out any loose bits inside the screw hole. Dip a cocktail stick into the wood glue and push it as far as it will go into the screw hole. Trim the protruding end off flush. Do the same with another cocktail stick. Repeat this until you cant push any more cocktail sticks into the hole and it's all nice and tight.

Trim the ends, wipe off any woodglue with a damp cloth and leave overnight to dry.

Once it's all set nicely you might find you need to drill a new pilot hole for the strap button screw. Don't use too large a drill for this and everything should be all tight.

[quote name='neepheid' post='516276' date='Jun 17 2009, 11:34 AM']Cocktail sticks are made of stronger wood than matches and are better for this particular fix.[/quote]

+1 - Also what strap locks are you using? I was using Schaller's and they always seemed to come lose but I switched to Dunlop's which use a larger screw and they seem more secure. I am tempting fate here aren't I :)

Steve

[quote name='birdy' post='516288' date='Jun 17 2009, 11:45 AM']+1 - Also what strap locks are you using? I was using Schaller's and they always seemed to come lose but I switched to Dunlop's which use a larger screw and they seem more secure. I am tempting fate here aren't I :)

Steve[/quote]

Yeah I'm using Schallers.

I think I'm going to have to go for a quick fix today of another matchstick as I've got a gig tonight and tomorrow night but then I shall definitely use the match stick trick.

Cheers guys for your advice!

The other thing you could do use hardwood dowel. Drill out the screw hole using a drill bit slightly larger than the dowel, larger than the screw hole, but less wide than the base of your strap button.

Sand the dowel by putting it in a drill and holding sandpaper around it. Make the dowel the right length and then glue in using woodglue. Redrill the screw hole.

I did this once on a guitar where the strap button screw had sheared and I had to make a bit of a mess of the screw hole to get the sheared screw out.

It's never come again and you couldn't tell it's been done, unless you removed the strap button.

Edited by bigjohn