Why become a member? ×

Cannot get jazz bass wiring working

I am sure I posted on this already?!

How can I tell which pot is for what? It's just 3 pots, with a bunch of numbers being the only difference, I assumed the one with the number different to the other two was for tone, but I am not sure if they sent 2 tone by accident instead?

On that diagram there is no earth wire to the jack socket earth. They are expecting the metal socket to make a good contact with ground via the metal control plate.

Check your jack socket for a good earth contact, or run a ground link to it to be sure.

[quote name='Hamster' post='512874' date='Jun 13 2009, 05:25 PM']On that diagram there is no earth wire to the jack socket earth. They are expecting the metal socket to make a good contact with ground via the metal control plate.

Check your jack socket for a good earth contact, or run a ground link to it to be sure.[/quote]

Already did that one!

The top pot and the middle pot are volume from the bridge and neck pick-ups respectively. I am guessing that they should be the same value. I've never had a Jazz but it would make sense. The third pot closest to the jack with the cap is the tone control.

Watch out when soldering. If you leave the iron on the pot for too long when soldering to the body you will fry the pot. This is incredibly easy to do!

According to this they should all be 250K

[url="http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/basses/0131800A/SD0131800APg3.pdf"]http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf...0131800APg3.pdf[/url]

Did you definitely order the 60's jazz bass parts?

You may have A and B written on the pots. eg A250K and B250K?

Edited by TimR

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='513348' date='Jun 14 2009, 02:57 PM']Got it working, got a new soldering iron too, but now the tip is broke on that!

Anyone know is there are any universal tips? Both my irons need them.[/quote]
Try Maplins They used to sell them!

Will.