Why become a member? ×

No gig tonight

beerdragon

Our guitarist gets all the gigs and he seems to have failed miserably as we only out at the end of the month. anyway iv'e been giving my phone number out and a Hotel about five miles away phoned me yesterday saying a band had let them down and could we play saturday night, great i thought, but then the woman goes on to say that they only pay £120 for the first gig and then a bit more if they like us, right i thought, thats not going to happen when i tell the other three menbers. right i said to the woman, i'll give the rest of the band a ring and get back to you. so phone the guitarist, explain the situation and give him their phone number, but he say's there's no way he's going out for that kind of money. couple of hours later he rings me up and says that the other two are in agreement that they are taking the p..sand we should forget it.those days are gone when we go out for that kind of money, me, tonight i'll be sitting down with a couple of beers and a dvd. i think i would have played . i would have come away with a little more experience and maybe a tenner in my pocket. ok the place does'nt deserve anyone playing there paying that kind of money
but what do you think?

[quote name='beerdragon' post='53761' date='Sep 1 2007, 11:40 AM']...but he say's there's no way he's going out for that kind of money. couple of hours later he rings me up and says that the other two are in agreement that they are taking the p..sand we should forget it.those days are gone when we go out for that kind of money...[/quote]

Haha... I used to be in a band like that. Arguing the toss about money when it's a hobby and the cash isn't needed to pay the mortgage. Delusions of grandeur.

I can see why he's saying it though. Especially if you're used to getting £100+ from covers gigs. But like you say, a gig's a gig and you might have missed a good night. It's a paid rehearsal, if nothing else.

Edited by stingrayfan

I won't do a covers gig for any less then £60

UNLESS:
1) its local
2) i don't have to lug any equipment that isn't mine
3) the others playing are good musicians who i might learn from and have a good time with.
4) I don't have anything else booked

I have this policy because i play covers FOR the money, bands generally get treated like poo at these gigs, so i want good payment! I usually get between £60 & £150, and the covers band i work with are great musicians and we all muck in with gear etc, its a good laugh. The band leader always makes sure we're on no less the £60 each and because i live 5 mins from him, i get taken to all the gigs in the van :)

If we're talking originals, then my band is where my heart is and 99% of the gigs i do with First Signs Of Frost none of us take any money. We generally get payed £60-£100 per gig (the whole band) and that goes straight into the kitty for van diesel and merch etc.
Other originals i do as a hired bass player i'll generally do for expenses only if i like the material and go from there depending how successful the artist is.

If i was going out and doing gigs for next to nothing (£10!!!) then i wouldn't be playing covers, i'd be doing my best to find great original artists and playing for them! Playing covers is a service and as such should be payed accordingly. I know Duos that don't go out for less then £160, let alone full bands, its depressing!

Si

Edited by Sibob

I'll play for nothing. i'm not doing it for the money, its a bonus. the most pubs and other establishments around here pay is £180/£200 so if were lucky we get fifty quid each at the end of the night so i can't see why my other band member are turning their noses up at thirty quid.
the other friday we played at a local pub and i dont drink while i'm playing, just a bottle of water. at the end of the gig the landlord says no rush to leave so i bought some family members some drinks and had a few myself and finally left at two in the morning, leaving my gear untill the next day. when i got up the next day i found my pockets empty, i had gone through the gig money and more :) . ah well!

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='53833' date='Sep 1 2007, 01:12 PM']Tis taking the piss a bit but you are earning nothing by not playing. Having said that if it was a function gig not finishing till 2am I would have told them to shove it but if its 2 45s in a bar why not.[/quote]

Just two forty minutes, guess i'm working with some breadheads. i guess i better amend my sig and put but only for a cerain amount of money :)

Edited by beerdragon

[quote name='The Funk' post='53837' date='Sep 1 2007, 02:16 PM']The dumb thing is that if you did the gig once, then the second time she'd probably pay you your normal rate (if I understand what you wrote in your first post correctly).[/quote]

Or not, theres another post (OBBM was it?) who did a "1st gig" for cheaper, and the landlady told all the surrounding pubs thats what the band charged so no-one would give them more!

Si

Edited by Sibob

I'd rather be playing than not. I've just started gigging in a pub covers band as a side project and we have decided to do the 1st gig for 1/2 price offer.
It's working so far, we've played 2 gigs at 1/2 price and got 3 full price bookings from them.