Why become a member? ×

Mine all mine!

johnny_b

Hi All,

Thought I'd share no, show off some pictures of my new Shuker J Bass - made a year ago and for some reason unsold until I got it about a week ago. Many of you will have seen it on Jon's site, but believe me it looks better in the flesh - when I'm not playing it I find myself just looking at it....
[attachment=26801:close.jpg]
[attachment=26802:body.jpg]
I had been in the market for a Fender 75 reissue Jazz, almost bought a 'Shukified' Geddy Lee from Mark (mcgraham) from here, but played a friend's Shuker and took a chance - though Jon said if I wasn't happy a return would be no problem - but its not going anywhere. Low action, comfortable neck, nice scooped Jazz sound with the 2 pups together - controls are volume, balance tone - passive - I talked to Jon about maybe putting active controls in sometime, but I'm happy for now. The Delanos are fine - output a little lower than I expected, but good tonal range - quite 'hi-fi', which suits me.

I really like the vintage vibe of this bass, medium frets, Swamp Ash body - not too heavy, good sustain, great tone, Nitro finish, which Jon said was unusual for him - a very light cream, really - I was going to go for the maple/black block thing, but the mix of white/off white and maple really works for me - if I have not been clear I love this bass...oops - must calm down...anyhow, as a newbie round here, thought I'd best pitch in - btw when searching for this, I pm'd a few people here about potential purchases - everyone was really helpful - so thanks!

Bonus : turns out this is number 1 of this shape too - which is somehow incredibly satisfying.
[attachment=26805:signature.jpg]
All in all, I have had some good chats with Mr Shuker and intend to visit next time I'm up North - great guy to deal with. Another satisfied customer!

Now I clearly need a nice, new lightweight rig to do justice to it....

Edited by johnny_b

I'm liking your taste, she's a beauty, love the Leo Fender thing but like the modern take and sound more that the vintage vibe, hence my RV and Spitfire, active would be a nice addition perhaps, I love the urgency of a few volts behind you!
Sweet well done.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='509442' date='Jun 9 2009, 07:47 PM']Very nice Johnny..Congratulations bro!!!! Bet it sounds awsome..

And welcome to BC..
:)[/quote]
Thanks guy! - I was looking hard at that Jazz you're selling - man that crack in the finish...how did you avoid extreme violence!!!
good luck with the sale, btw - those are sweet basses.
j

[quote name='johnny_b' post='509456' date='Jun 9 2009, 07:55 PM']Thanks guy! - I was looking hard at that Jazz you're selling - man that crack in the finish...how did you avoid extreme violence!!!
good luck with the sale, btw - those are sweet basses.
j[/quote]
Although i was fuming at the time, i kind of think a Fender should have a few knocks on it..Its just a little more than a knock...

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='509444' date='Jun 9 2009, 07:48 PM']I'm liking your taste, she's a beauty, love the Leo Fender thing but like the modern take and sound more that the vintage vibe, hence my RV and Spitfire, active would be a nice addition perhaps, I love the urgency of a few volts behind you!
Sweet well done.[/quote]

Thanks - I haven't played a Spitfire - heard some good things, though - nice look too - on the electronics, yes, I'll live with the passive set up for now - looking to get a new rig - maybe Markbass or Genz Benz - once I have that sorted, I'll see how everything works together and take it from there - i quite like not having to put batteries into EVERYTHING, though :-) .

[quote name='OldGit' post='509467' date='Jun 9 2009, 08:01 PM']Nice one.. Congrats and welcome to the Shukerillos club ..[/quote]

Cheers!

[quote name='eude' post='509711' date='Jun 9 2009, 11:00 PM']Very nice dude :)

Eude[/quote]

Thanks - I'm well chuffed.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='509746' date='Jun 9 2009, 11:39 PM']Not sure on the Bridge but EVERYTHING else looks amazing!

That neck looks fantastic!!!!!!! Love the colour too.
Id be well stoked with it![/quote]

Funny you should mention the bridge - I talked to Jon about it - its a Gotoh - works well enough, but I have a Hipshot fitted on something else, which I really like - I'll wait a bit though. The neck is the best I have ever played, btw.

[quote name='johnny_b' post='509910' date='Jun 10 2009, 09:27 AM']Funny you should mention the bridge - I talked to Jon about it - its a Gotoh - works well enough, but I have a Hipshot fitted on something else, which I really like - I'll wait a bit though. The neck is the best I have ever played, btw.[/quote]

Jon fits that Gotoh 203 to the JJB too .. Looks Fenderish but works a load better than the standard bent tin bridge just a shame it has hose extra holes.. (from a retrofitting perspective I mean)