Why become a member? ×

Can you recommend some small but loud amps for around £500?

Shire

Morning ladies and gents!

Well I just moved house to a top floor room with a slightly narrow staircase so I said goodbye to my Ashdown Mag combo and cab.

What I'm looking for now is something smaller but louder. I know these amps exist but are there any within my price range (£500ish for amp and cab)

A fellow basschatter has offered me his Ashdown ABM Mini 48 and 15 cabs and the matching 350w head but it might be slightly more than I can afford right now (as much as I want it Budd!)

Head wise I'd like something around 400-500w and maybe a 4x10 cab or 2x10 and a 1x15. I'm pretty new to this gear and technical side of bass playing but our band are doing quite well so I'd like something decent-ish :)

So what are my other options (if I have any?) or should I start scouting the classifieds section....

Thanks in advance,
Matt

[quote name='yorick' post='508916' date='Jun 9 2009, 11:46 AM']Have a look at the Ashdown LG1000. 1000w into 4ohms. 2 x 500w power amps, parametric eq etc.[/quote]

Yeah that was on my hitlist to check out along with Hartke LH500 head

[quote name='51m0n' post='508932' date='Jun 9 2009, 12:06 PM']LH500 is a cracking amp, my son has one, VERY loud.

Its not particularly lightweight by modern standards (markbass etc) but a very sensible old school solid state amp weight rather than all tube monstrousness.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip. I read the reviews on here and it seems the only thing it lacks is the ability to adjust the input volume but as long as it can handle that itself thats fine :rolleyes:

Shame they have risen in price so much recently :)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='508933' date='Jun 9 2009, 12:07 PM']Small loud amp and cab for £500 is doable if you keep an eye on the classifieds and are happy to go with a heavier amp.

Alex[/quote]

heavy is ok, its just size (mostly width) because the staircase is narrow and the girls I'm living with might break a nail if they help lift it! :lol:

[quote name='Shire' post='508952' date='Jun 9 2009, 12:36 PM']heavy is ok, its just size (mostly width) because the staircase is narrow and the girls I'm living with might break a nail if they help lift it! :)[/quote]

If you turn the amp head on its side, you can fit it through narrower gaps.

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='508978' date='Jun 9 2009, 01:03 PM']If you turn the amp head on its side, you can fit it through narrower gaps.

S.P.[/quote]

Good logical thinking! Now why didn't I think of that?...... :)