Why become a member? ×

Help With First Bass

BenK

[font="Tahoma"][center]Hi to all,
I have just come from the world of six strings and I'm looking to get a dirt cheap bass to muck around with.I have looked at the sx basses but as I live in the UK there impossible to get the good ones, that are not the 21 fret starter packs.I have thought about buying one from rondo but the shipping is expensive and by the time the tax man has caught up with me it will be out my price range :)

I will play mostly rock and a tad of funk

if anyone else knows any decent brands in that price range with good UK dealers your ideas would be greatly appreciated :rolleyes:[/center] [/font]

Edited by BenK

My (hard learned) philosophy on first instruments is never to spend real money.

Even when I've bought something good, I inevitably find as I learn and develop then my tastes change and I want something else. e.g. I'm on my third bass and I only started playing in December. :)

Hopefully you're not as fickle as me.

[quote name='BenK' post='508434' date='Jun 8 2009, 06:43 PM'][font="Tahoma"][center]Hi to all,
I have just come from the world of six strings and I'm looking to get a dirt cheap bass to muck around with.I have looked at the sx basses but as I live in the UK there impossible to get the good ones, that are not the 21 fret starter packs.I have thought about buying one from rondo but the shipping is expensive and by the time the tax man has caught up with me it will be out my price range :)

if anyone else knows any decent brands in that price range with good UK dealers your ideas would be greatly appreciated :rolleyes:[/center] [/font][/quote]

not sure about where to get an SX from but why not check out the for sale section here for your 1st bass? unless you've got your heart set on an SX?

you could get something pretty decent for not alot of money 2nd hand, there's a peavey fury in the for sale section for £150 and a few Squier VMJ's which are great value for money

[quote name='kingforaday' post='508451' date='Jun 8 2009, 07:01 PM']not sure about where to get an SX from but why not check out the for sale section here for your 1st bass? unless you've got your heart set on an SX?

you could get something pretty decent for not alot of money 2nd hand, there's a peavey fury in the for sale section for £150 and a few Squier VMJ's which are great value for money[/quote]

Thanks for the tip I didnt scroll down enough(i'm such a nooblet lol) i'll take a look

a bump after 25 minutes? calm down now, this isn't talkbass. If you want I've got a rockbass streamer standard you can have for £150. Unless you're really uncertain about whether you'll be playing for long, i'd recommend something that sounds half decent so that you can still try and jam/play some small gigs. I was happy with mine for about a year and a half until I felt it was time for something better. Not quite sure how Eight managed to get through basses in two months, especially money wise.

[quote name='BenK' post='508472' date='Jun 8 2009, 07:37 PM']Bumb,so anyone know any good brands??[/quote]

ibanez basses are pretty good and i'd say pretty easy for former guitarists to get to grips with (pretty sleak small bodies and thin necks)

but i would say that being that i have one i'm thinking of selling! PM'd!

[quote name='Zach' post='508483' date='Jun 8 2009, 07:50 PM']Not quite sure how Eight managed to get through basses in two months, especially money wise.[/quote]
I don't think that'll be happening again.

Aside from being happy for the moment, I am seriously skint.

If you're set on an SX you might want to look at the Jim Deacon brand. The consensus is that the 20 fret versions are the same basses as those branded SX. You don't seem to get the same range of colours though.

Aside from that, the Vintage modified and classic vibes are worth keeping an eye out for.

Also, read this sticky if you havn't already:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8009"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8009[/url]

Most of it should be recovering familiar ground as you already play guitar, but it's worth a quick read.

[quote name='Kongo' post='511746' date='Jun 12 2009, 12:42 AM']PLUGGED!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=50656"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=50656[/url]

£100 with pickup upgrade. :)[/quote]
You'll look for a long time before you find a better bass for your money than that. I'm not associated with the seller by the way, but I've played a few Yamaha's in my time and I've NEVER laid hands on a duff one.

I don't agree that you should buy the cheapest you can because you're a beginner. The way I look at it is if you buy the cheapest p.o.s. you can get new then it's worth bugger-all second hand if you decide bass isn't for you. If it's the cheapest you can get then it's also, more than likely, going to play like a dog. There's no quicker way of putting someone off playing an instrument in my opinion.

Always buy your first bass second hand - less depreciation that way.

Also I wouldn't recommend BC Rich to anybody, but that's just me and this is the most important point. One man's meat is another man's poison. It's all personal opinions and personal preferences. You have to make up your own mind what suits YOU best. IMHO, YMMV, etc. etc.