Why become a member? ×

Markbass SA450 vs SD800

Kongo

Ok simple question here, how does the SA450 weight up compared to the SD800...I've been using a Markbass SD800 AGAIN in rehearsals and will do so until I can get myself a decent amp head...But I cannot afford the £1200 price tag!
So...how does it's little brother weight up?

I ask this because they both have the same EQ layout and the only main difference is wattage and the fact the SA450 is analog and the SD800 is digital.
How much quieter and different sounding is the SA450 compared?
Bare in mind it's likely to be run @ 8 ohms a lot more than 4 ohms so it's gonna run @ 300 watts and the SD800 runs @ 450 watts.

I'm not all into this Markbass craze but this head DOES deliver!
Now I wonder, does the SA450?

Thanks...I know someone here has one of either of these heads. :)

I have the sa450, but I've never used an sd800 other than in a shop, so I've not seen just how loud it can go, although I expect most cabs would be unable to cope with its full output, whatever they say on the tin.

I run mine at 4Ohms and its very very very very loud indeed, at least teamed up with my Berg, which is considered a pretty efficient cab. It has the same output section as the LMII if that helps.

The eq and filters are great, very powerful. However I rarely use them, since the sound of the thing is perfect without - in a band setting it cant be beat with my tonal tastes...

I know this thread doesnt really help you in your goal, but if you can find any shop with an LMII or LMII and an sd800 you have the same power section to compare.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='508369' date='Jun 8 2009, 05:36 PM']I think Simon has this head!

Re: power...I have a LM3 and its 500W at 4 Ohms. 300W at 8 Ohms. 300W at 8ohms through a good cab is damn loud....4 ohms is VERY loud.[/quote]

Just like the SD800, the head is going through a Trace Elliot 1048H with power handling of 800 watts...Since having it last week was my first time mating them both together...and it was a match made in heaven!
The Markbass cab, as I always say, went crazy and looked like the speakers were gonna launch and the tone broke up...And they also handling 800 watts...But my Trace cab took the entire lot!
I briefly pushed the SD800 to max output and nothing broke up...though that's prob down to the Digital amp but still, my Trace cab handled it VERY well!

I don't think the 150 drop in wattage will reduce the volume by a LOT...it's more the EQ of these heads I like that cuts me through...but chucking out 450 watts @ 4 ohms means adding a Trace Elliot 2x10 is an option as it can handle up to 500 watts...this head isn't as over kill as others can be, limiting 2nd cab choice.

[quote name='Uncle Balsamic' post='508375' date='Jun 8 2009, 05:46 PM']Could you make a replica with a MoMark for less money? Hmm...[/quote]

I dont know, its a good question, but I rather doubt it as that would shoot MB in the foot a bit especially with some of the price reductions now available on LMII and sa450s as they are soon to be deprecated 'old' models I think.

[quote name='51m0n' post='508378' date='Jun 8 2009, 05:49 PM']I have the sa450, but I've never used an sd800 other than in a shop, so I've not seen just how loud it can go, although I expect most cabs would be unable to cope with its full output, whatever they say on the tin.[/quote]

As tested, my Trace Elliot can take it's full power (even though it's on it's limit) yet the Markbass 4x10 also rated @ 800 watts could not...
I had the input gain set perfectly and the output gain @ max when I jacked both cabs in, and alone...The Trace really could take it...But my body, and my fellow bandmates could not...It really DID start to hurt!
A bit TOO much volume but then, you'd never run it at that, it was just a test...And since that I am very VERY happy with my cab...VERY! :)

But adding a 2x10 I don't think an SD800 would be a good idea as jacked up a wee bit too much would overdrive the cab...although they can take a bit over the limit (so I'm told) I don't think going double over the recommended rating is wise...SO maybe this head is perfect for me?

Oh and yeah, the EQ for me only needs a mild tweak in the Mid range...just a MILD tweak and then I tweak the filters, one gives vintage mud...the other that pre-shape sound I've only found on TE heads until now, cept this one is variable.
So yeah, the head alone is great!

Again, wattage alone does not state volume, I think it's the cutting power of the head with my cab that does it. :rolleyes:

It might be worth having a look over on Talkbass. Do a search for Kjung.
He is a huge fan of MB heads and had a thread about his SD800 when he first got it and he did a very good write up about the differences between that and his LMII. i think he came to the conclusion that the SD800 lacked the warmth of the LMII but had a much quicker attack and also seemed to have more headroom in the low end and so didnt compress on the low notes as much as the LMII.
It was a while ago though but you can still find the thread.

[quote name='51m0n' post='508381' date='Jun 8 2009, 05:51 PM']I dont know, its a good question, but I rather doubt it as that would shoot MB in the foot a bit especially with some of the price reductions now available on LMII and sa450s as they are soon to be deprecated 'old' models I think.[/quote]

The LMII is now stated as discontinued on the MB website. Long live the LMII.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='508956' date='Jun 9 2009, 12:39 PM']It might be worth having a look over on Talkbass. Do a search for Kjung.
He is a huge fan of MB heads and had a thread about his SD800 when he first got it and he did a very good write up about the differences between that and his LMII. i think he came to the conclusion that the SD800 lacked the warmth of the LMII but had a much quicker attack and also seemed to have more headroom in the low end and so didnt compress on the low notes as much as the LMII.
It was a while ago though but you can still find the thread.[/quote]

It's one HELL of a head...After reading that no one here has one I feel...privileged using one twice every week.
I use rack compression to bring my dynamics to a more natural level...I wonder how this will go with the SA450?
Is the SA450 as the site says then, a Markbass LMII in a new shell with a few extra options?
Either way, folks LOVE these heads so even though it's not as good as an SD800 (preference dependant), it can't be a bad option.

I just cannot wait out to get an SD800 even though come to think of it I should...
As said, I'm not "into" Markbass as such, I just LOVE what the heads can do... they work for me.
The cabs...don't...But my Trace Elliot 1048H DOES and with the SD800 it's heavenly...
Power! Punch! Clarity! Headroom! The cab CAN take the head!
Time is running out to get a decent amp head though and I'd rather buy a keeper. :)

Edited by Kongo

The SD800 is an old head so i wouldn't hang around for too long.
I cant believe its not dropped in price but then again all the old heads have gone up in the past year or so.
When i got my SA450 the SD800 was £900. I thought that was very expensive at the time but now if even dearer.

Ive never done a direct comparison other than to have both at a gig and play one set each but with everything flat they both sound exactly the same.
Using the EQ you can get the SA450 to match the LMII but because of the different EQ not the other way round.
Both use the same power stage and im sure most of the same components so yes, effectively they are both the same with the SA450 having more knobs on it plus the pre/post switch and two dual output connectors.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='509274' date='Jun 9 2009, 05:18 PM']The SD800 is an old head so i wouldn't hang around for too long.
I cant believe its not dropped in price but then again all the old heads have gone up in the past year or so.
When i got my SA450 the SD800 was £900. I thought that was very expensive at the time but now if even dearer.

Ive never done a direct comparison other than to have both at a gig and play one set each but with everything flat they both sound exactly the same.
Using the EQ you can get the SA450 to match the LMII but because of the different EQ not the other way round.
Both use the same power stage and im sure most of the same components so yes, effectively they are both the same with the SA450 having more knobs on it plus the pre/post switch and two dual output connectors.[/quote]

Yes indeed, the SD1200 is the new kid in town!!! :rolleyes:
But I too can't believe it's £1200 new! THAT'S ONLINE!!!!!!!
Still, old or not I dig it's sound...I just thought, as the EQ is the same on the SA450 maybe it's the sound rather than the wattage I like.
Volume in a mix comes from many things more than wattage.
I have the EQ only slightly tweaked, most of my tone shaping is from the VLE and VPE, one adding muddy sub and the other, top end zing.
With the Mid range parametric you can really juggle things up to suit any room and band situation and I'm up against the worst to fight against in my band...All valve high gain amps running drop-B tuned guitars!
Of course, by fight I'm joking, I'm often told to turn up more then they are. :)