Why become a member? ×

Cabinet Ohm Switching

Hey guys and gals.

Just wondering if somebody could give me a bit of help! I have a Peavey 410TX, which has served me well for years, but I have just come into possession of a Firebass Head (700W @ 2 Ohms). Because of this, I am trying to find a way to get the Peavey (currently 8 ohm) to switch between 8 and 4 ohms, so I can get the maximum potential from my head. I would be chaining it with another cab, which would probably have the same mods done to it. I dont mind wiring, it's just I am unsure of the switch loadings and how robust they need to be.

Thanks for your time, and I hope I've explained that ok... sorta. :)

Matt

Basically, it's not possible to get 4/8Ω from a single set of speakers. You could replace all the speakers in the cab to get a 4Ω cab (and hence 2 cabs would give you the 2Ω minimum load for the Firebass), but you wouldn't be able to switch it back to 8Ω. There's plenty of discussion about this here, so the search function is your friend...

Thanks, the 410 is a 4 x10", each speaker at 8 Ohms each. I've had a look via the search function and can't find anything related to this... apologies if I am just missing it! I think I may have solved my problem, in a way... [url="http://colomar.com/Shavano/2x12wiring.html"]http://colomar.com/Shavano/2x12wiring.html[/url] this page demonstrates a wiring of a 2 speaker cabinet, so by arranging the 4 in series/parallel it should be possible to get the switching done between 8 and 4. However, please correct me if I am wrong! (i.e. as it is now, 8 ohms, and all paralleled, 2 ohms.)

Thanks.

Also if your speaker cabs have sensitive drivers in them then they will be more efficient which means louder too.

I would suggest post this question/s in the appropriate thread in the "Ask an Expert - Barefaced Cabs" forum. Put all the info in there for Alex to see and I'm sure he'll put you straight as he certainly is the man around here for all things speaker shaped!

Regards,
JTB

4 x 8s in series-parallel makes 8 Ohms,
4 x 8s all parallel makes for a 2 Ohm cab. Also, as you'd be splitting the power 4 ways you'd up the power handling capability of the cab.. if they're each 8 Ohms 200 Watts, you get 2 Ohms 800 Watts.
I have a Peavey 210TX which was only available as 4 Ohms, but as I wanted 8 Ohm cabs I had to change the speakers to 2 x 16s in parallel with an overall power handling of 400W.. still going strong 15 years later!