Why become a member? ×

ken smith design 70's jazz bass.

al embic

looking to move this one on..had it since brandnew,about 12 months..it's just not getting the use.my status and gb are hogging my gig time!! comes with hardcase and the original black scratch plate(if i can find it)..the pearl effect one in the pics is a custom peice,that would cost about £40?? to have made.the bass is imaculate,the action is superb and it has a great modern jazz sound.
idealy i'd like to get £475 but may consider trades for a maple necked stingray/sterling,with cash your way..let me know what you got.

Edited by al embic

I owned the one in Aroundabout briefly. Sadly that one had issues but I'd love another one. I had a pearl guard made (possibly this one) and I think it was £40 must. Step. Away from the bass !

Edited by gafbass02

[quote name='devinebass' post='513115' date='Jun 14 2009, 02:36 AM']Hi mate, can you tell me the exact weight of the bass.
Cheers.[/quote]
looks to be about 9lbs ....i know some ksd's had a weight issue..i bought mine direct from bernie at gb i know he hand picked this one for me.i believe he sent some back as he felt they were too heavy....think ebs freak can back me up on that one?

Edited by al embic

[quote name='al embic' post='516403' date='Jun 17 2009, 01:41 PM']looks to be about 9lbs ....i know some ksd's had a weight issue..i bought mine direct from bernie at gb that hand picked this one for me.i believe he sent some back as he felt they were too heavy....think ebs freak can back me up on that one?[/quote]

That's correct. Bernie had more bodies sent over because some of the bodies that were shipped weighed an absolute bomb. If I recall, the heaviest body that was ever sent, weighed 15lb by itself - completely unacceptable. Each body and neck was then handpicked to go together, reassembled and setup by Bernie.

I believe there is still a collection of jazz body shaped ballast sitting in his basement.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='516647' date='Jun 17 2009, 05:20 PM']That's correct. Bernie had more bodies sent over because some of the bodies that were shipped weighed an absolute bomb. If I recall, the heaviest body that was ever sent, weighed 15lb by itself - completely unacceptable. Each body and neck was then handpicked to go together, reassembled and setup by Bernie.

I believe there is still a collection of jazz body shaped ballast sitting in his basement.[/quote]

cheers for the info mate...would defo explain why this ksd plays so well and doesn't break my back!!
that paint schemes awesome.....how much and where from?.....

Edited by al embic

[quote name='al embic' post='516694' date='Jun 17 2009, 06:01 PM']cheers for the info mate...would defo explain why this ksd plays so well and doesn't break my back!!
that paint schemes awesome.....how much and where from?.....[/quote]

No problem.

Paint job? A good friend of mine in Birmingham. Website is on the picture - [url="http://www.outofthisswirled.com/"]http://www.outofthisswirled.com/[/url] and I think the current cost for a bass body is about £250 coated and polished. He is the daddy at swirls - his clearcoating is flatter than flat (no ripples) and it shines like mad.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='516734' date='Jun 17 2009, 06:44 PM']No problem.

Paint job? A good friend of mine in Birmingham. Website is on the picture - [url="http://www.outofthisswirled.com/"]http://www.outofthisswirled.com/[/url] and I think the current cost for a bass body is about £250 coated and polished. He is the daddy at swirls - his clearcoating is flatter than flat (no ripples) and it shines like mad.[/quote]

thanks for the info mate....oooops,bump!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='al embic' post='520913' date='Jun 22 2009, 05:17 PM']price drop to £425.....any offers/interest???[/quote]
last time through the basschat mangle.£400.......or make me some offers...set on selling this!!

[quote name='al embic' post='535590' date='Jul 8 2009, 12:23 PM']last time through the basschat mangle.£400.......or make me some offers...set on selling this!![/quote]

Hi, I'd be very interested once my Moon Bass has sold!

Looks very Funky!

I'll keep you posted!

Where are you?

Cheers

Stu

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='stufunkybass' post='537563' date='Jul 10 2009, 10:17 PM']Hi, I'd be very interested once my Moon Bass has sold!

Looks very Funky!

I'll keep you posted!

Where are you?

Cheers

Stu[/quote]

hey stu,
sorry for the delay,kinda lost this thread....bass is still up for grabs..i'm up near manchester,always welcome around to try before ya buy.