Why become a member? ×

Compressor Examples?

waynepunkdude

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='503595' date='Jun 2 2009, 10:57 AM']Is there anywhere online I can get examples of compressor settings?

I'm not sure if that makes sense :S

What I mean is somewhere I can see what I should set my compressor to if I require a certain sound?[/quote]

probably is if you search for the perticular compressor you've got, what is it?

[quote name='51m0n' post='503643' date='Jun 2 2009, 11:56 AM']This will help you a lot:-

[url="http://www.ovnilab.com/faq.shtml"]Ovnilab "How to use a compressor" page[/url][/quote]

CAll digital village, they will help you get the most out of it.

That question you ask is hard, as it will depend on the input of the bass going in, and where its placed in the chain. so while someone here may set threshold at +10 db and ratio of 1;2 etc that may not work with your bass. Generally i try to compress most things vocals etc, with no more than 6-12db reduction, (slap playing i find requires lots of sqeeze) and then make the gain up by that same value to reach a 0db overall level. Also set the limiter to just above the 0db overall sound to keep it all nice and smooth. On a studio compressor, you must remember that it will cap the peaks,and bring up the quiter notes, but the make up in gain that you may use to get the volume back up may also bring up any signal noise at the input/eq if post eq.. If you have a gate on it as well, its worth experimenting with it. A good gate/comp/limiter can really enhance and smooth out a bass guitar if used correctly. I myself have givin up on £100 or so compressors, as i have tried a tla and it was just the buissness, so saving up for this. Its worth trying out a really good compressor to hear what it should be doing, even if its out of reach at this time.

GP.