Why become a member? ×

Superfly Help

The_D

I have been gigging my Superfly for about 3 years without an issue. No squeeling on certain presets and no major hiss anywhere.

In practice last week on Tuesday it cut out. I wasnt getting any input signal at all. I switched it off and back on and It lit up like usual but when the lights all settled the highest EQ bar was lit right up and none others were even on and still no input signal.

I switched it off and on again... same deal. Out of pure frustration I switched it off again and slapped it (quite hard) switched it back on and it all worked only to cut out again 2-3 songs later.

I am not cranking it too much I have the gain set really low and use the output signal to get volume. It happened again at practice on Friday night then again a few times at our gig tonight. I eventually swapped it out for a back up H¦H head unit I have to finish the gig. BTW slapping it worked every time to get it back on.

Has anyone seen this before or similar on another solid state amp? I will be dropping it off at the local repair dude I know but any pointers to get him started would be nice as it might only die after playing it for a while. If he cant replicate the fault then he might not be able to do anything.

Help me obi wan, you're my only hope!

I remember when we bought our first colour telly, about 1974, after a couple of years it started to go on the blink and every time this happened, my Dad would slap it and it came back on. This went on for a good few years and I naturally assumed, as a young boy, that if something didn't work properly, then a good old slap would sort it out.

This has served me well throughout life. :)

How much did you pay? Three years is a good innings for one of these, maybe time to retire it if the repair is going to be costly.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='502163' date='May 31 2009, 11:43 AM']I remember when we bought our first colour telly, about 1974, after a couple of years it started to go on the blink and every time this happened, my Dad would slap it and it came back on. This went on for a good few years and I naturally assumed, as a young boy, that if something didn't work properly, then a good old slap would sort it out.

This has served me well throughout life. :)

How much did you pay? Three years is a good innings for one of these, maybe time to retire it if the repair is going to be costly.[/quote]

"Impact maintenance" as my dad used to call it!

Works better on old stuff than on your new Apple laptop, trust me....

[quote name='WinterMute' post='503619' date='Jun 2 2009, 10:23 AM']"Impact maintenance" as my dad used to call it!

Works better on old stuff than on your new Apple laptop, trust me....[/quote]

Very theraputic for frustration as well.
Particularly when accompanied by the usual expletive,
Shakes the dust of appliance and operator...

[quote name='mr pablo' post='504931' date='Jun 3 2009, 06:44 PM']what happened to you on saturday mate?

you can borrow my GK if you need an amp while yours is gettin fixed :)[/quote]

I just used my backup into my 2x10. Did the job and we were kinda runnin late getting to the gig so didnt want to rushabout looking for a speaker cable. Cheers anyway.

We have a couple of weeks off so shouldnt need yer amp but will keep it in mind if mines is buggered.

Mine used to cut out every so often, happened a couple of times during a practice although was always ok afterwards

Check something inside hasn't worked loose. These were so poorly built that the screws can work loose with the vibration of the amp, used to happen all the time on mine and i had to take an allen key to practice to tighten them all up afterwards!

I solved it by buying a new amp and relegating the Ashdown to bedroom amp status

[quote name='The_D' post='504934' date='Jun 3 2009, 06:49 PM']I just used my backup into my 2x10. Did the job and we were kinda runnin late getting to the gig so didnt want to rushabout looking for a speaker cable. Cheers anyway.

We have a couple of weeks off so shouldnt need yer amp but will keep it in mind if mines is buggered.[/quote]

nae worries mate :)

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='deksawyer' post='505217' date='Jun 4 2009, 02:01 AM']Aye!! From 1 onwards.....

D.[/quote]

Well I managed to skive off enough from work tonight and check all the connections. I had emailed Ashdown and got the schematics from them, top guy (literally, his name was guy), He suggested a bad connector on the CPU PCB. Removed the top cover tonight and powered it up and played about with all the connectors on it. The power cable was the one that was cutting it out.

Removed the plastic connector from the wires and soldered them straight onto the poles. Now I cant get it to cut out at all. Will give it a good going over at practice on Thursday and I am not getting my hopes up after the PC debacle of a few months back but alls looking good :)

[quote name='The_D' post='527855' date='Jun 29 2009, 04:08 PM']Yup. Never underestimate the power of shoddy connectors![/quote]
Agreed. Put my Trace SMX out of action briefly (after 12 years, the cables from the power stage to the outputs had worked loose)
Had it serviced, and all the connectors were (well and truly) soldered on. Not a peep since...