Why become a member? ×

Epifani 112

Steve A

[quote name='funkmunky' post='52502' date='Aug 29 2007, 08:32 PM']Hi,

Anyone with any experience of the Epifani UL112 cabinet?

What's it like?

Steve[/quote]

I had a 112NYC for a few hours earlier this year. It sounded great at first but then i noticed i had a "noise" coming from inside the cab when i played lightly, over the neck or front pup on my B string around the 5th fret. there was a lot of bass of course but the volume was very, very low. I never did figure what it was but took it back to the shop anyway. playing "normally" with the lows backed off a bit, around 1o'clock it sounded ok but i felt it was making me play a certain way and i didnt want that. Tested (and brought) a UL115 instead.

I run a UL112 and a T112NYC from a UL502 amp. I've only once used the UL112 on it's own. The two cabs have different responses which complement each other. The NYC is very deep toned whereas the UL is more middy. I find it a great combination. Very loud, very punchy and nicely growly. Even at 5'6" tall I can carry both from the car in one trip.

I have one and a 3x10, they're both excellent, both obviously very different to each other.

I'm actually selling the 1x12, only because of an unplanned purchase, and the imminent arrival of a new Sei 6er.

I live in Birmingham if you'd like to ty it.

Edited by kjb

Hi Steve,

I have a series 1 ul112 and have been exceptionally impressed with it. On the practical side it is very light and reasonably manoeuvrable (though it's deep and not as easy to get around as some might imagine). The strap handle is a bit cheap in my opinion and I would prefer either bar or flight case type handles (the standard handle fittings can also scratch anything you seat on top of the cab). The back panel is comprehensive - the combination of jack and speakon connectors is thoughtful. The attenuator control is really quite usable though I have it set around the mid point and use the eq on my amp most of the time to boost or limit treble.

I've played the cab with a TE AH200 and a DB750. I get a really lovely smooth bass response - never boomy or boxy and the mids are gorgeous. This is certainly the best fretless cab I've ever encountered - the bloom is just fantastic. I find the sound very focused and centered - a quality of one driver cabs that is quite appealing. The tweeter is not at all harsh - I've heard the cab described as airy and refined and can see why. It's also very responsive and honest - I've not found any concealment of detail though I don't think the cab is entirely neutral: it does have it's own sound. I've not driven the ul112 hard at all but I suspect it can cope comfortably with more pressure than I've presented it with. I've not heard any distortion or break-up on low notes though I've not tried the cab with a low B. I've tried lots of effects (Bass Pod pro) and the cab copes admirably - even with really weird stuff! The range is truly impressive - a nice even response across a broad spectrum.

I hope this helps, Cheers, Loz

Edited by lozbass

• 2 years later...

Hi, Loz
I know this is old post, but probably useful for that:
I'm wondering how you rate the UL 112 now, having had it a while, any misgivings?
I'm thinking of one, or else bergantino 112 or possibly barefeced compact.

I play 4 & 5 string elec as well as elec and acoustic upright. I already have EBS neo112 (with replaced normal driver, much fuller sound), EBS 210 and Demeter 3x10 cabs, Peavey and Eden WT800 tops.

Cheers,

GerryK.

[quote name='gerryk' post='785163' date='Mar 24 2010, 09:08 PM']Hi, Loz
I'm wondering how you rate the UL 112 now, having had it a while, any misgivings?

I play 4 & 5 string elec as well as elec and acoustic upright. I already have EBS neo112 (with replaced normal driver, much fuller sound), EBS 210 and Demeter 3x10 cabs, Peavey and Eden WT800 tops.

Cheers,

GerryK.[/quote]
Hi Gerry,

Weird that I saw this today after such a thread hiatus. No misgivings at all on the ul112 - it's still serving admirably (as did the ul112 combo I had for a while). I've used the cab at much greater volume in the past months and with 5 and 6 string basses. The low B and high C didn't trouble the cab at all - same full, very even, accurate response. I didn't push the cab very hard with a low B - I'd be a little concerned that it wouldn't be happy - no problem at moderate volumes however. We're now on the Series II ul cabs - I honestly haven't had a chance to compare. Given what you're using at the moment, I'm not sure you'd have a significant improvement with an Epi - that said, I've not made a direct comparison. Cheers, L

Edited by lozbass

[quote name='lozbass' post='785514' date='Mar 25 2010, 10:02 AM']Hi Gerry,

Weird that I saw this today after such a thread hiatus. No misgivings at all on the ul112 - it's still serving admirably (as did the ul112 combo I had for a while). I've used the cab at much greater volume in the past months and with 5 and 6 string basses. The low B and high C didn't trouble the cab at all - same full, very even, accurate response. I didn't push the cab very hard with a low B - I'd be a little concerned that it wouldn't be happy - no problem at moderate volumes however. We're now on the Series II ul cabs - I honestly haven't had a chance to compare. Given what you're using at the moment, I'm not sure you'd have a significant improvement with an Epi - that said, I've not made a direct comparison. Cheers, L[/quote]

Loz,

Thanks, I really thought I'd missed the boat on this thread! I'm now very tempted to just bite the bullet and order one of these shipped to IRL from The Gallery - after the Euro recovers!!!
I have a rather fatalistic approach to how I treat cabs: I will readily 'test' a cab's limits re low notes at volume, and replace drivers - or the cab - if necessary, as I feel that if I'm not driving the cab to produce the output I want, then I may as well not use it! A bit drastic i know.
Even if it turns out not to quite suit my sound tastes, there are relatively few of them about, so it would prob sell on quickly enough...

Should also have pointed that I actually only use either the EBS combo, or EBS Neo with Eden top: I don't use other cabs because of weight/size, given that I'm often carrying an upright of some type plus elec bass. I'm looking for a 2nd cab to complement the Neo,, or also replace as better single option.

Cheers, and thanks for your response,

Gerry.

Edited by gerryk

[quote name='gerryk' post='785163' date='Mar 24 2010, 10:08 PM']Hi, Loz

Cheers,

GerryK.[/quote]

Hi Gerry.

I've got both an Epi UL112 and a Barefaced Compact (1x15) - they are very different cabs...

Strange as it may seem, as it's 'only' a 12 inch speaker, I find the Epi has a fuller, warmer sound to it (that said I use very little in the way of tweeter that's available) - I would say that the Barefaced is louder, delivers more mids and is more aggresive to my ear (even though there is no tweeter in this bad boy). It really all depends upon the sound you want/need.

My main gig is with a big band and both cabs work well but in different ways - just to add some perspective I'm currently using both with my EA iAmp800 and play both 4 and 5 string fretted and fretless basses.

I sometimes play with a blues/rock trio and had imagined that the Barefaced would have been ideal for this situation but alas since getting it we haven't been together so cannot prove the theory.

Right now I'm slightly favouring the Epi but I've gigged both and have had excellent feedback on each of them. Both cabs are lightweight and easy to handle and both have performed very well for me. That said I'm currently contemplating a Mesa Walkabout Scout combo or a Berg 1x12 cab to see how they compare.

On a purely practical note: I sometimes get a lift to rehearsal with one of the trumpet players - the Epi will not fit in the boot of his car but the Barefaced Compact wil!! stupid Volvo saloon...

Cheers

John

Hi John,

That's a great insight, right on the money: it seems that there's a convergence of interest in those 3; barfaced, Epi and Berg. I've been researching all three, though I just emailed Alex at barefaced last night, enquiring about the Big Baby, and it might be the best all-rounder, as it has (at least from quoted specs) very good ultra-low response, down to 30hz. It's apparently deeper-sounding than the Compact - my original interest - and has the hi-mid 6" driver to extend up to 10khz...bit pricey though, considering that the Epi is £399 versus £575. I suspect that the Epi might be easier to shift if I don't like it, though Alex is generous with trial period. Decisions, decisions...

Epi were on my radar until I heard my freind use 2 1x12's..

I think the term is pillowy..and it sounded soft and flabby out front so if that is how it projects it isn't for me.
I heard this a few times now and he doesn't sound like that with SWR, for example, so it isn't his inherrent sound, IMV..

As with all these things it comes down to personal preference and the type of sound you want or need for a particular situation.

Clearly there will be variations in terms of different amp/cab combinations, eq settings, basses, room acoustics etc etc. I'm sure there are many more knowledgeable than I who would be able to provide a more scientific explanation of such variations.

To a large extent I've found it's trail and error until you find what works for you in any given situation - for me the experimentation is part of the fun with any new gear.

Personally the Epi is currently working for my situation - it may not suit yours, but thats for you to decide.

I don't know about you guys but I've found getting people to give you honest appraisal of your sound is one of the most difficult things...

[quote name='JTUK' post='791778' date='Mar 31 2010, 12:32 PM']Epi were on my radar until I heard my freind use 2 1x12's..

I think the term is pillowy..and it sounded soft and flabby out front so if that is how it projects it isn't for me.[/quote]

Exactly how i found my UL212 to sound. Nice on its own but it lacked punch and didnt cut through enough for me.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='791873' date='Mar 31 2010, 01:36 PM']Exactly how i found my UL212 to sound. Nice on its own but it lacked punch and didnt cut through enough for me.[/quote]

Indeed..and now I have to tell him.

I think what is most important is how a sound blooms over a distance, so my tendency is to have a harsher or harder sound close in and let it soften once clear of the stage. If it starts soft..which is what he liked about it when in demo...then it is fair to assume the projection might add to this..????

[quote name='JTUK' post='791897' date='Mar 31 2010, 01:55 PM']Indeed..and now I have to tell him.

I think what is most important is how a sound blooms over a distance, so my tendency is to have a harsher or harder sound close in and let it soften once clear of the stage. If it starts soft..which is what he liked about it when in demo...then it is fair to assume the projection might add to this..????[/quote]

Agreed. That why i ended up with a Schroeder 1212L. Much louder, very middy on stage but out front it mellows out. Not as deep as my UL212 but low enough to get the job done and much better used without PA support.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='JTUK' post='791778' date='Mar 31 2010, 12:32 PM']Epi were on my radar until I heard my freind use 2 1x12's..

I think the term is pillowy..and it sounded soft and flabby out front so if that is how it projects it isn't for me.
I heard this a few times now and he doesn't sound like that with SWR, for example, so it isn't his inherrent sound, IMV..[/quote]

Hi JTUK,
That's interesting, first bad comment I'v come across so far. I wonder is it anything to do with using 2 together? I've seen cancellation problems using 2 EBS 210s on top of each other, though no problem when placed side by side on floor!

Chers,

Gerry

[quote name='JTUK' post='791778' date='Mar 31 2010, 11:32 AM']Epi were on my radar until I heard my freind use 2 1x12's..

I heard this a few times now and he doesn't sound like that with SWR, for example, so it isn't his inherrent sound, IMV..[/quote]

This does surprise me. I've done loads of gigs with my UL112/T112NYC pair, including out-doors and the usual comment is how punchy they are.

Used the UL212 last summer with the Orange AD200B head. Also tight and punchy.

Also used to use them as backline for one of the local jams which gave me a chance to hear them out front with other makes of bass. Never a problem to my ears, but then maybe my ears are the problem. :)

Perhaps they are better with some basses than others.

maybe.... he stacks them as you would..being only 12's, he'd need the height

He is a very meticulous and demanding player and his rig is Markbass and Epi 12.. I will find out with exact models when I next see him.
Plays with a Jazz and has come from SWR. He wanted a light and punchy alternative and I can see why he went for the Markbass amp after what he was used to.
That is not to say they don't punch or get through but the sound is deffo soft and flabby to my ears. Definitions, huh..???

[quote name='JTUK' post='792138' date='Mar 31 2010, 03:45 PM']maybe.... he stacks them as you would..being only 12's, he'd need the height

He is a very meticulous and demanding player and his rig is Markbass and Epi 12.. I will find out with exact models when I next see him.
Plays with a Jazz and has come from SWR. He wanted a light and punchy alternative and I can see why he went for the Markbass amp after what he was used to.
That is not to say they don't punch or get through but the sound is deffo soft and flabby to my ears. Definitions, huh..???[/quote]

Hmmm. I was using mine with an Epi UL502. I sold that and now have an MB F1 or an Orange Terror Bass. Not had a real chance to try either yet though as I'm still on my sabatical.

Guys,

Thanks all for your thoughts and experiences on this. i should probably add some flesh and background to my initial enquiry:
Virtually every gig I do either has PA, or else is theatre/orchestral, where many string players will privately frown at the mere sight of an amp!!!
When doing normal gigs with PA, my concern for good sound only extends to the limits of the stage. I've been using the EBS Neo 112, with a replacement normal magnet cheapo speaker bought from Thoman, and it's genuinely better than the stock EBS driver, and virtually no difference in weight.
From all that's been said so far though, I don't know that the Epi will be appreciably better than the EBS, if used alone. That's where the Barefaced Big Baby comes into the equation, as it can, according to Alex at BF, take my Eden WT800 in bridged mode (800W!), with very broad freq response and hi DB sensitivity, all in a single light box, the slightly larger size of which might actually be beneficial for audibility when standing close to it - as we so often have to do. Pity it's so much more expensive!
If anyone has any experience of the Big Baby, though I think it's very new...

Cheers,

Gerry.