Why become a member? ×

James Brown

casapete

Anybody catch this concert on BBC4 ? Filmed at St Lukes.

Great band, with not one but TWO bass players!!! There was an older guy playing great lines
on a 5 string behind James, and then up on a riser to the right another bloke with a Stingray who apparently
was only doing the occasional run/fill whilst his mate kept the bottom end covered!

I once saw Little Richard live with a similar setup - oldish guy playing great solid lines whilst another bassist (who
looked a lot like a young Prince!) just riffed away in the upper register. Strange,but somehow great!

Sorry, couldn't take my eyes off the dancers!

Bassists seemed to be taking it in turns for quite a lot of the gig. Yep, great band, some young players in there too.

St Luke's seems to be a great venue for gigs - originally supposed to be a rehearsal venue for the London Symphony Orchestra i think.

Fred Thomas is the guy who was with James Brown for years, he usually plays a Carvin 5 string. I should imagine the other bass player is 'Sweets' Sherrell. They both played when I saw him in 2004... RIP James!

Edited by liamcapleton

[quote name='OldGit' post='497786' date='May 26 2009, 09:41 AM']Speaking of bands playing with two bass players ...
[/quote]

Sounds like Chuck's 'Let it Rock' to me, not Johnny B.Goode.

(Great version by the Stones on original 'B' side of 'Brown Sugar' too)