Why become a member? ×

Martin Turner

beerdragon

Piggin Ek ! Brilliant is that ! We've just formed a Wishbone Ash Tribute band as well. It never dawned on me just how good Martin Turner was until I had to learn some of his Bass parts. Man, he's brilliant and well under rated. Thanks for posting that.

[quote name='Johngh' post='495570' date='May 22 2009, 09:17 PM']Piggin Ek ! Brilliant is that ! We've just formed a Wishbone Ash Tribute band as well. It never dawned on me just how good Martin Turner was until I had to learn some of his Bass parts. Man, he's brilliant and well under rated. Thanks for posting that.[/quote]

not only that... he plays with a pick as well... totally disproving the stupid saying that real bassists only play with their fingers... :)

Yep great player.

I remember stitting mesmorised one day. I heard a live recording of wishbone ash playing on the radio, and Martin started playing this awesome solo. Alas this was many years ago, and I've never heard the recording again sadly.

Edited by Badass

[quote name='Badass' post='496193' date='May 23 2009, 05:57 PM']Yep great player.

I remember stitting mesmorised one day. I heard a live recording of wishbone ash playing on the radio, and Martin started playing this awesome solo. Alas this was many years ago, and I've never heard the recording again sadly.[/quote]

I'm going to guess that the solo was Sometime World. He sings over it too! My band (with 2 ex WA tribute guitarists) is doing Blind Eye and The King Will Come. Gotta love that harmony work.

[quote name='RhysP' post='496012' date='May 23 2009, 01:16 PM']Martin Turner is a fantastic bassist & was a huge influence on me when I started playing - "Argus" is full of great basslines which are a real blast to play.[/quote]

Oh yes .. Argus is a regular play - it's been in one of the CD slots in my car for about 5 years now..
Did you see either of the versions of Wishbone Ash gigs at the Globe in Cardiff recently?
I like watching them but in my book "just one orginal member left" counts as a tribute band ...

[quote name='OldGit' post='496220' date='May 23 2009, 06:32 PM']I like watching them but in my book "just one orginal member left" counts as a tribute band ...[/quote]

LOL. The real difference between the 2 is that you can really hear the bass in MT's version whilst I fancy AP is a bit insecure and makes it all about him. Just IMHO of course.

Bah... I saw the ash just after he'd left, replaced by Trevor Boulder, many years ago on the Number the Brave tour. They were brilliant, but not as good as the original line up. Thanks for posting that.

[quote name='OldGit' post='496220' date='May 23 2009, 06:32 PM']Did you see either of the versions of Wishbone Ash gigs at the Globe in Cardiff recently?
I like watching them but in my book "just one orginal member left" counts as a tribute band ...[/quote]
I was there for Martin Turners Wishbone Ash a few weeks ago. To me hearing Martins vocals & bass make it a more authentic sounding version than Andy Powells lot.

[quote name='RhysP' post='496370' date='May 23 2009, 10:28 PM']I was there for Martin Turners Wishbone Ash a few weeks ago. To me hearing Martins vocals & bass make it a more authentic sounding version than Andy Powells lot.[/quote]

+1