Why become a member? ×

Annoying buzz

TMB

[quote name='TMB' post='491172' date='May 18 2009, 10:34 AM']I am new to playing bass... and i have a really annoying buzz on the third string, 4th fret.......only place it happens. Can anyone out there explain this to me so that i can fix it?? Thanks guys[/quote]

That is an unusual place to get buzz - if you are correct it may mean a fret needs polishing, but your best bet is to ask the Bass Doc (Howard)

It sounds like you have a high fret. Sometimes you can see one fret standing higher than the rest if you look along the neck, try putting a steel rule unto the frets in the area of the buzz.
Any good guitar tech should be able to fix it without too much cost, the exact remedy depends on the exact nature of the problem.
Sometimes the offending fret can be tapped down with a special punch ( supporting thr neck with a sand bag or padded block ), sometimes stoning the fret down can help, sometimes both.

There's an outside chance you have a kink in the string just ahead of the fretting position - can you check that or perhaps replace the string to see if if the buzz disappears. In my early days I was driven mad with a similar problem and tried all other methods before a close inspection revealed that the bass had taken a knock 'face on' resulting in a kink downwards which had the effect of the string presenting itself to the next fret a tad lower than normal. The kink can be so slight it's hard to spot , hence the suggestion of trying a replacement.

yeap, sounds just like a kink in the string to me .... if you don't get the any buzz on the adjacent frets (or actually if the strings are old and have been played hard the metal on the string dents in). just try a new string. Just got this P-bass and it doesn't have any fretbuzz anywhere except on the low G were it has a grinding buzz. The string is visually deform... I guess the previous owner only played that note.

Edited by mcc

Sounds like a raised fret to me...Bloody things...they can make a great bass unplayable and most of all, you may never know they are there...even more so if you buy it from a shop with high action...take it home, lower it and...The note basically frets out!