Why become a member? ×

Vintage stingray clone active 3 band with buzz

Posted (edited)

I thought it might be the cable but it wasn’t as I tried that same cable with  an electro acoustic. 
there’s no obvious fault with the wiring, can anyone recommend a fairly cheap replacement pre amp? Quite willing to believe it might be toast after 20 years 

I don’t know if a 2band eq and 3band eq plate are the same size? 

Edited by Geek99

The Retrovibe Stinger is about £75 new, not tried one though. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281890345393?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=gzZuqd4kSaq&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=DHJFo4GVQzS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The plates on an EB Ray are the same size for a 2 and 3 band. The difference is the output jack socket is on the side of the body on a 3 band EQ, not on the plate like a 2 band. 

The EB 2 and 3 band EQs have the pots attached to the circuit board, other pre amps are usually non mounted like that. 

• Thanks 1

You’ve made me realise that a 2band eq isn’t going to work due to the jack socket 

the original preamp is also non mounted 

I’ll fish out my multi meter, thanks for your time 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

You’ve made me realise that a 2band eq isn’t going to work due to the jack socket 

Why’s that? Just wondering. 

Assuming that if it’s due to the distance, you could either just use the supplied one with the 2 band (mount the output on the plate) or extend the wires for the jack on the new supplied one, so it reaches the original socket position (and have a dummy pot on the plate for aesthetics).

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Like 1