Why become a member? ×

Shaftesbury Rickenbacker copy

Hello all, my mate has offered me the above guitar with pick up issues for 100 quid.

I'm fancying putting some active pick ups in, I'm a joiner by trade so it's no issue for me routering a battery compartment into the body, anybody got any suggestions on pups or issues I may have.

Thanks

Posted (edited)

If this bass is in otherwise good original condition - especially if it it still has the Shaftesbury branded TRC - it is probably worth more than £100. Unless you intend to keep it forever and gig it regularly, any modifications you make (especially non-reversible ones) will devalue it should you ever want to resell it and you'll probably find yourself mocked in the eBay forum on this site should you do so.

Without seeing the actual bass it's impossible to give a 100% definitive answer, but I'd consider getting the pickup issues sorted out in the least intrusive way possible, and if it then turns out to be not for you, you should make a decent profit when you sell it which will allow you to get something that you will use.

Paging @Bassassin

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 1

Now then.  My only experience was off a guy who owned one in the late 70s/early 80s.

Distinctly remember the bass was a bolt-on and there didn't appear to be enough of the neck attached to the body in the rout/heel area and the thing was going like a banana.  Horrific action.