Why become a member? ×

Sushibox Finally with bass in mind v2

JPJ

Anybody on the European side of the pond have any experience with this preamp? It’s endorsed by Phil Mann so I’m guessing it’s pretty good. Could be next on my list of ‘secret sauce’ pedals to try with my fretless 🤔

Well we can add this to the list of “itch being scratched” as I’ve just pulled the trigger on one. Will report back in a couple of weeks when it arrives 😎

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, walshy said:

Ive had the original and it was a bit Meh, hope the new improved one is better

I’ve been watching the online reviews and yes, it seems the v1 was a little plain Jane, but the v2 is endorsed by Phil Mann and also Janek Gwizdala rated it in his recent DI shoot out video so I’m hoping it’ll be good when it arrives. I’m just looking for a little bit of added warmth for my fretless. I’m using the EBS Stanley Clarke as my pre as I’m doubling on NS EUB with one band, and the Stanley Clarke is brilliant for this but its just a little too ‘dry’ for the fretless. I’ve tried running my SansAmp both in the loop and in front of the Stanley Clarke, both of which help but it gets too dirty too soon if that makes sense? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 16/05/2024 at 10:07, JPJ said:

Anybody on the European side of the pond have any experience with this preamp? It’s endorsed by Phil Mann so I’m guessing it’s pretty good. Could be next on my list of ‘secret sauce’ pedals to try with my fretless 🤔

Hi Jonse!

This is lovely to see - thank you so much for the mention on Basschat, it makes a huge difference to the reach of small businesses - I'm afraid I'm not on this platform a great deal, so would love this opportunity to tell you about the unit.

Firstly, I must agree a little with Walshy, I also had the original unit and wasn't completely knocked out by it, so I contact Nathan Slade and we gave it a little polish! The 'With Bass In Mind' edition features a number of refinements to the original unit, the main one being the valve which comes as stock...

I've never been a lover of 12AUX preamp valves, their a little too harsh and over saturated for my liking, thus the WBIM Edition is fitted is a 12AU7, which is far smoother and provides less saturation - a subtle difference, but changes the overall characteristics of the pedal substantially - think more Fender Bassman, than Ampeg. 

The idea of the unit is relatively straight forward, a small footprint DI box which runs on a 9v power supply, intended to sit at the end of your pedal board.

It's able to enrich your signal with warm valve tones (similar to that of a RedDI, Noble, or Khan DI), act as a signal splitter (XLR and 1/4') whilst also supplying natural compression. I spent 90% of my stage time on IEM these days, so it's a perfect addition when only utilising the signal from my pedal board into FOH. However, when there's an amp present, it gently warms up any light weight Class D digital power amps - think less of it as a distortion box (which I've already seen written), and more as a valve DI. It's also been awesome to work with in the studio.

A number of my With Bass In Mind students have now taken delivery - Nathan ships from Chicago and there's usually about a two week lead time - they're selling like hot cakes. As soon as I'm off this current run of performances with The Drifters, I'll be able to find some time to produce a little more internet content - there's a few bits on my YouTube channel, but not a great deal (will share below).

Sushi Box.jpg

Edited by Phil Mann
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Here's a few YouTube links to help your research!

The Pedal:

https://www.withbassinmind.com/the-pedal

The Promo Video:

For audio reference, here's a short video of me stumbling through a Jaco solo - there's nothing in the signal path other than the 'Finally' V2 (although, in fairness, I did re-amped the signal through my LB-2.N).

If you'd like to know anything else - please feel free to pop by my social media pages (Facebook, or Instagram) and drop me a direct line!

My very best, thanks for reading! 

Philip

Edited by Phil Mann
  • Like 4

Thanks for your input @Phil Mann I ordered mine a couple of days ago so looking forward to getting my hands on one in the next few weeks. BTW your Jaco video was the deciding factor for me. 

On 19/05/2024 at 10:57, JPJ said:

Thanks for your input @Phil Mann I ordered mine a couple of days ago so looking forward to getting my hands on one in the next few weeks. BTW your Jaco video was the deciding factor for me. 

You're more than welcome - only pleased to be able to share some information. 

My best,

Philip

Just received the email to say my ‘finally’ is with UPS for its journey across the Atlantic. Exciting times, can’t wait to get my hands on it 😎

Five days later and my pedal has made it as far as Chicago O’Hare airport. USPS seem to work at the same speed as Parcelfarce on this side of the pond. 

Posted (edited)

So it turns out that USPS are indeed the ba$tard love child of ParcelForce and Evri. Tracking history so far:

24-May-24 17:30 USPS  in possession of item Dundee, Illinois 

24-May-24 20:33 arrived at Chicago, Illinois regional origin centre

25-May-24 18:04 arrived at Chicago, Illinois international distribution centre

26-May-24 in transit to next facility

27-May-24 14:28 arrived at Chicago, Illinois international distribution centre

28-May-24 08:17 processed through Chicago, Illinois international distribution centre

29-May-24 09:21 Arrived Chicago, United States

30-May-24 06:31 Departed Chicago, United States 

01-Jun-24 07:47 Departed Chicago, United States

01-Jun-24 10:34 Departed Guangzhou, China

Looks like it’s going to be very well travelled before it reaches me 😂

Edited by JPJ
  • Haha 2

On 01/06/2024 at 18:45, walshy said:

Looks like V3 will be released before you get V2 🤣

Starting to look that way 😬

So five days further on and the status updates from USPS appeared to have stopped. 

24-May-24 17:30 USPS  in possession of item Dundee, Illinois 

24-May-24 20:33 arrived at Chicago, Illinois regional origin centre

25-May-24 18:04 arrived at Chicago, Illinois international distribution centre

26-May-24 in transit to next facility

27-May-24 14:28 arrived at Chicago, Illinois international distribution centre

28-May-24 08:17 processed through Chicago, Illinois international distribution centre

29-May-24 09:21 Arrived Chicago, United States

30-May-24 06:31 Departed Chicago, United States 

01-Jun-24 07:47 Departed Chicago, United States

01-Jun-24 10:34 Departed Guangzhou, China

03-Jun-24 09:46 Processed at the on route centre

Since then, nothing 😬

Posted (edited)
On 06/06/2024 at 14:52, LukeFRC said:

it's gone via Guangzhou??!

You know it's a cause for concern when your package arrives at the Gang Show in China.

It's probably in the possession of the Chinese Mafia now, and a ransom will be demanded soon.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Hi everyone

Should you want to check out the pedal, and get a full run down of it's features, as well as hear a few sound files - I've just uploaded a demo to the With Bass In Mind YouTube page.

Enjoy! (please use headphones)

• Like 2

Question to the Basschat collective. So no further updates from USPS. Parcel last seen in Guangzhou China on 3rd June. Both Nathan (Sushiboxfx) and I have drew a blank with USPS (another business that doesnt want you contacting them). So I paid for my ‘And Finally’ on the 17th May, how long should I wait before raising a claim with my credit card company for non-delivery? 

6 minutes ago, JPJ said:

Question to the Basschat collective. So no further updates from USPS. Parcel last seen in Guangzhou China on 3rd June. Both Nathan (Sushiboxfx) and I have drew a blank with USPS (another business that doesnt want you contacting them). So I paid for my ‘And Finally’ on the 17th May, how long should I wait before raising a claim with my credit card company for non-delivery? 

If you can't trace it and neither can the supplier I would do it now. If it ever shows up you could offer to resend the money to Sushibox ? They'll claim on the insurance I guess so won't be out of pocket.

Update.

Having read this thread, Phil Mann has contacted me directly via Faceache. He has arranged a full refund from Nathan at Sushiboxfx on the understanding that when/if the pedal arrives from its Chinese odyssey, I will repay Nathan. To put it bluntly, I am blown away by both Phil’s intervention and Nathan’s trust in doing this.

So all’s well that ends well as they say, and hopefully the pedal will eventually show up on this side of the pond after its world tour. 

• Like 2

You couldn’t make this up. 24hrs after Phil’s intervention, and guess what - yes the pedal was delivered this morning whilst I was at rehearsal 🤦 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2