Why become a member? ×

Squier Sonic

Does anyone have any experience of the Squier Sonic Bronco? If so, how do they play as a stock instrument? Capable of a few gigs or just a bedroom bass? 

I appreciate it’s a cheap bass so isn’t going to be incredible. But, I’m looking for a backup for my Vintera Mustang and these look like they might fit the bill.

Information online seems to lean towards them being pretty good for what they are, but only after a few mods. And, although I do quite like idea of trying to make it look like a music master… with a really busy year of gigs ahead, it’s unlikely I’ll be able to touch it until early next year other than a basic setup.

I basically need something that holds tune relatively well and doesn’t hum to high heaven if it’s ever called upon to be used live..

My other options are to hang fire until a 2nd hand mustang becomes available nearby (or another SS) But, as the bass will likely spend 80% of its life in a case in the back of the van, I’m not looking to spend loads. 

Any info is greatly appreciated :)

Thank you, I do appreciate that! And it may well end up being the route I go down.

But, given that I can get the bass and a case for less than the cost of a used mustang I’m essentially trying to establish if the bronco is a useable bass off the shelf or if it’s an absolute dog unless you chuck another ££’s at it. 

Unless my Mustang fails/ needs repairs, the bass will never be gigged so essentially, I want to know from peoples experience if i can ‘get away’ with it in case of emergency or if it’s not worth even bothering.

I did up an older Bronco and I imagine this is better than those were.

These have a proper bridge, and better looking tuners, so it will definitely do a job. Will you want to change those bits and maybe the pickup? Probably, but they can be done on a modest budget and make a big difference. If you can find one 2nd hand you're on to a winner! 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Never tried a Bronco. Somebody in the forum was saying good things about the Harley Benton PB-shorty, a short scale precision that costs 85 pounds+postage at Thomann

Edited by Paolo85
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Paolo85 said:

Never tried a Bronco. Somebody in the forum was saying good things about the Harley Benton PB-shorty, a short scale precision that costs 85 pounds+postage at Thomann

That might have been me, but there are a few of us on here who are happy owners.. Spot-on out of the box and remarkable value for money.

• Like 2