Why become a member? ×

STRING VOLUMES VERY UNEVEN.

Does anyone know how to fix uneven string volumes please?

My A string is always louder and beefier than the rest, the others sound thin in comparison. How can I get them all similar?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks, Tom.

Whats the bass and pickups? Pics would be great...

If adjustable pickup poles, drop the A pole a smidge... or a fair bit, then bring it up until happy...

If non adjustable the set the overall pickup for best compromise...

Bass is an Ibanez Mezzo with EMG P/J set fitted, So it's just a matter of fiddling about with pickup heights until you arrive at the optimal 'spot'?

1 hour ago, tom1946 said:

So it's just a matter of fiddling about with pickup heights until you arrive at the optimal 'spot'?

Pretty much! With the P pickup you can drop the 'A' pole which should help. Playing around with string gauges can also help to even things out a bit (eg. a lighter gauge for the A string)

On 11/05/2024 at 15:26, PaulThePlug said:

To high and you get a chorus-ing kind of ghost note that makes if sound like it won't tune or intonate.

Not with the EMG's described, active EMG's are barely magnetic at all and rely on the built-in preamp to get the signal to a usable level.

Unless they're passive EMG's of course, in which case, forget what I just said :lol: