Why become a member? ×

Practicing software - what should I be using?

I am looking for something simple that will let me define a chord progression, and then play it back to me while I try without success to play an appropriate bassline.  It needs to be completely quiet, so something that works with headphones, and also simple to use.

Ireal pro is cheap and I think would work, but I don't have a tablet of any sort so would have to buy one.  Hookpad is expensive but would run on my laptop.  But surely there is something tailor made for practice??

I have:  Laptop with W11, Reaper, Audio interface, wireless headphones.

Any suggestions would be appreciated - I need to become completely silent to maintain some domestic harmony.  

Thanks for any help.

37 minutes ago, converse320 said:

Any suggestions would be appreciated - I need to become completely silent to maintain some domestic harmony.  

Guitar Pro would fit the bill; it's easy to use, and a free trial is available. Not expensive, but try it first..? :friends:

Guitar Pro ...

• Like 1

When i practised drum beats to bass and different chords from guirar and keyboard, I just used a lot of different wav saples, mixing together and playing over and over again. The collection i got was for free from my friend. It was easy and very healpful, but of couse there are a lot soft. One of them i was interested was ''gig a day''.

Thanks for all the replies, I've downloaded and installed the trial version of Guitar Pro, and will try the others.  I'm a bit reluctant to try an android emulator....I'm the man who breaks checkout machines.

20 hours ago, nekomatic said:

The iReal Pro website suggests you can use an Android emulator to run it on Windows. 

i haven’t tried this as they do a proper Mac version 😎

This is true, I run iReal pro on my tablet, phone, and on my laptop using Bluestacks as an Android emulator. Works just as it should.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NickD said:

This is true, I run iReal pro on my tablet, phone, and on my laptop using Bluestacks as an Android emulator. Works just as it should.

I'll need to try this having shelled out for the full version and used it about twice...

• Like 1