Why become a member? ×

J Pickup Sized Ceramic Bar Magnet?

I got a ceramic pickup that has a single flat long bar magnet attached under the pickup/pickup poles, but it is broken, so I am looking for a replacement, it's a standard sized neck pickup, anyone who knows where I can get one?

I have tried Ebay, but I am not sure how to search for the right size and strength of the magnet?

I don't mind that it isn't the exact same strength as the old one, as I have no way of measuring it, just that it isn't two weak or string to work properly, and I'd rather have a bit too strong a magnet, rather than one that is weaker than the current one.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

8 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I don't mind that it isn't the exact same strength as the old one, as I have no way of measuring it...

I know there aren't too many measuring units around. As the measuring units are rare and the usage is even harder, how to get a similar magnet? I have no idea. Besides if the distance from the coil and strings is slightly different... (But we talk about "close enough", which means you need to buy a few pickups and do trials.)

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, itu said:

I know there aren't too many measuring units around. As the measuring units are rare and the usage is even harder, how to get a similar magnet? I have no idea. Besides if the distance from the coil and strings is slightly different... (But we talk about "close enough", which means you need to buy a few pickups and do trials.)

Uhm?

Thanks for your reply, but what I am asking is where to get a fitting magnet?

That is one of the right dimensions (size).

And as I wrote I don't care if it's an exact match to the old one regarding strength, as long as it works (that is not too weak or strong to work for a pickup on a bass to work properly).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

9 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I got a ceramic pickup that has a single flat long bar magnet attached under the pickup/pickup poles, but it is broken, so I am looking for a replacement, it's a standard sized neck pickup, anyone who knows where I can get one?

I have tried Ebay, but I am not sure how to search for the right size and strength of the magnet?

I don't mind that it isn't the exact same strength as the old one, as I have no way of measuring it, just that it isn't two weak or string to work properly, and I'd rather have a bit too strong a magnet, rather than one that is weaker than the current one.

Is there any chance that you can identify the pickup model & manufacturer and contact them?

Failing that, I'd start with physical dimension of the existing magnet and google based on those.

Sam x

Edited by SamIAm
  • Like 1

If the pieces are broken in a reasonable way, I would Epoxy or superglue them back together.  You may need to tape it down on waxed paper to keep everything aligned in place.  Sanding down the epoxy squeeze out afterwards may be required. Has to be worth a try since it is currently u/s.

Edited by 3below
Grammar ;(
  • Like 6