Why become a member? ×

Samurai

msb

It appeared last week on kijiji for a market price , a blue reissue Samurai , the Yamaha SBV500. I have a yellow one , and spent some years looking for it. It’s one of the few long scale basses I regularly play , I think of it as being like a Jazz bass on steroids , but much funkier. And today got a call from some friends that work at our local L&M , the big music retailer in Canada. The blue Samurai had appeared at the store , they were going to move it for a really good price , and was I interested … 

Now I have a yellow one that I love , but I could not turn down the deal. I’ll pick it up tomorrow. And I’m flattered that they called me before they put it out! 
Sold!

IMG_0263.jpeg

• Like 22

2 hours ago, msb said:

I think of it as being like a Jazz bass on steroids

Exactly how I've frequently described mine! Had one of these for a while, such a playable, surprisingly well-balanced & great-sounding bass. As well as looking amazing!

Getting pretty hard to find now, sometimes very silly prices when they come up, too.

sbvfull1200.thumb.jpg.99db9217fe1c8e11135976fcaa99c868.jpg

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Kyndainverse said:

It is. But £800? See what I mean by silly prices?

Really makes me wish I'd bought the one I saw in a local Crack Converters for £150 a few years back. I might've, if it hadn't been the same colour as mine...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, spacecowboy said:

They are seriously cool things! Enjoy it! Would love to see a pic of them both when you get it!

Just got it home and tweaked the bridge. Action is low , might raise it a hair , it has an older set of rounds on it , I may leave them on , I have Thomastik flats on the yellow one. These are a good looking pair!

IMG_0271.jpeg

• Like 20

12 hours ago, neepheid said:

Heh, they've got a flying banana too!

Also an SS300, which was Yamaha's 80s take on the Samurai shape  - MIJ, in great condition, ridiculously rare & half the price of the Taiwan-made SBV500. Odd. Apropos of nothing, the high-end, through-neck version of this, the SC600, has been on my OHMYGODIWANTTHAT list for many, many years. They don't come up & I wouldn't be able to afford one if it did!