Why become a member? ×

Ashdown CTM 30 (Little Bastard 30)

steviedee

Hi folks just wondered if anyone had opinions on this amp? Would only be for recording and will sit in our studio. I’m looking for something that can do cleanish but capable of an organic sounding overdrive (no gain knob so does it have to get loud to start breaking up?).

One being sold locally which I’m interested in. Just for info I was looking at the new CTM 15 and the Ampeg PFT 20.

(Gone from 0 amps to potentially 3 in the last two weeks 🥺!)

Edited by steviedee

• steviedee changed the title to Ashdown CTM 30 (Little Bastard 30)

I think you’ll be very happy. I run into either the hi or low gain input depending what I want to do - the hi gain giving more break up earlier on. And the EQ can be used to help as well - it’s subtle and not overbearing so pushing the bass for example will help load the valves without becoming mushy.

HTH :)

• Like 2

I’ve got an LB30 and they are pretty nice, imo there’s not a massive amount of eq , it’s more subtle I’d say ,but it has a very nice tone of its own , I’ve also got a pf50t which is very different , it has that Ampeg sound and is a lot more versatile, they are both very good 

• Like 1

On 19/04/2024 at 11:47, Merton said:

I think you’ll be very happy. I run into either the hi or low gain input depending what I want to do - the hi gain giving more break up earlier on. And the EQ can be used to help as well - it’s subtle and not overbearing so pushing the bass for example will help load the valves without becoming mushy.

HTH :)

Hi Merton.

Can you remind me when the eq on these is flat. I lent it to a deranged Rickenbacker player along with my Epifani ul212.  Sat in with him and it did sound mint. He swears he didn't let it run hot at all/ not for long.... but I had swapped the original factory valves back in anyway. Did you do any Valve swapping and notice any difference?? Pre amp or Power Valves.

Cheers

John

3 hours ago, JottoSW1 said:

Hi Merton.

Can you remind me when the eq on these is flat. I lent it to a deranged Rickenbacker player along with my Epifani ul212.  Sat in with him and it did sound mint. He swears he didn't let it run hot at all/ not for long.... but I had swapped the original factory valves back in anyway. Did you do any Valve swapping and notice any difference?? Pre amp or Power Valves.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

No idea what “flat” settings are I’m afraid.

AFAIK mine is still stock, I’ve done nothing to it since buying it from here in about 2018/2019 IIRC.

Sorry I can’t be any more help!