Why become a member? ×

Funky Loopage... couple of new vids

urb

Hey... sorry for the repost (I acidentally set the vid to 'Private', durrrr)

Anyway, a coulple of new vids using my looper running it into Logic with BFD providing some decent quality drums... I used my EBS BassIQ for the lead solo type bit and a couple of plugins for reverb and compression, hope you dig them:

And I just added this one from the same session, trying out some more 'out' sounding harmonic ideas on this one:

thanks for watching

Mike

[quote name='Simon' post='490164' date='May 16 2009, 09:34 PM']Nice work Mike!

BFD really is quite awesome! Sometimes better than an actual real drummer! LOL[/quote]

Thanks Si - and yes BFD really does kick ass - I had to upgrade my Mac's RAM to 4GB to really handle all the samples (as they are such high quality) but now it runs like a dream... and until I can pay Vinnie or Weckl it'll do for now!

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='dr.funk' post='490700' date='May 17 2009, 05:40 PM']Very nice, is that some scat singing I can here at 2:45?[/quote]

Thanks and yes, I do tend to sing along with my playing (not all the time) it really helps to re-focus you on the beat and the melody too - works good for basslines as well I find

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='steve' post='495563' date='May 22 2009, 09:09 PM']Very impressive, for me the 2nd one is really nice - I'd love to hear a recorded and mixed version[/quote]

thanks Steve, I like the second one better too, since I recorded this straight into Logic I have a good quality mix of it, I'll try and post it somewhere soon... thanks again for the positive feedback guys,

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='steve' post='495563' date='May 22 2009, 09:09 PM']Very impressive, for me the 2nd one is really nice - I'd love to hear a recorded and mixed version[/quote]

Hey Steve (and others)

there's now a high quality MP3 version of the 'Outfunk' tune here:

[url="http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=114553"]http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=114553[/url]

plus it's the first tune on my Myspaz page - hope you like it - I think it sounds pretty sweet...

Cheers for listening

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='DanOwens' post='508360' date='Jun 8 2009, 05:24 PM']Also Mike,

How are you syncing your loops?

Dan[/quote]

Hey Steve, the lead effect on the bass is my EBS BassIQ, I use it with the polarity on the 'down' setting to get that more synthy sound.

Dan, I'm using my Boss RC2 looper, is that what you mean by 'syncing'? It's cool because at least the BFD 'drummer' is on a fixed tempo, so the loop stays perfectly in time... it's not so easy with a real drummer :)

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike,

So you're punching in and out with millisecond-accuracy, otherwise surely it would eventually become out of sync with the tempo-locked BFD? Or do you tap-tempo and it punches in and out in time with the bpm you've tapped (which would be marginally better)?

I know you can hack a jamman to be tempo synced, just wondering if this was the case as my drummer (in my odd darkjazz band) is on click and we're talking about doing some onstage looping (too many instruments, not enough players).

Dan

[quote name='DanOwens' post='511709' date='Jun 11 2009, 11:19 PM']Thanks Mike,

So you're punching in and out with millisecond-accuracy, otherwise surely it would eventually become out of sync with the tempo-locked BFD? Or do you tap-tempo and it punches in and out in time with the bpm you've tapped (which would be marginally better)?

I know you can hack a jamman to be tempo synced, just wondering if this was the case as my drummer (in my odd darkjazz band) is on click and we're talking about doing some onstage looping (too many instruments, not enough players).

Dan[/quote]

In a nutshell Dan I'm looping this stuff as accurately as I can - it does take a bit of practice - the one key thing is to hit the 'stop' loop function on the '1' of the completed loop cycle - as you need the full value of the last bar of your phrase... it's interesting to do really spacey loops to practice this - counting in your head the full value of each bar, and leaving big silences - shows up the weak points in your timing really fast that does!

So in short these loops are in time because I played them accurately, hacking things to artificially snych them sounds way too complicated for me! The Boss RC2 does have a tap tempo and does do a weird thing sometimes when you play a loop without a beat and somehow it approximates the tempo you are in - so when you hit the 'repeat' function a beat will come in - not sure how that works but it can be quite accurate... anyway it's a good pedal and I recommend it - it's very versatile and the sound quality is great too.

Hope all that helps

Mike

Ta Mike,

I used to gig as a solo bassist and got my punching in and out pretty tight, but if a drummer joined in or a tempo-synced rhythm (drum machine etc) you would eventually notice that it was slightly out, and 'slightly' is as good as a mile with timing.

I also used it as a tool to internalise timing. That and the metronome 'challenges' shown to me by some jazz guys up here in Manc. Difficult, but so beneficial!

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Manchester and Liverpool, Ste. South Manc (Fuel, Hedge etc) and in Liverpool at the galleries I used to help run.

TBH (and this is going to sound a little arrogant), once I started doing it a load of bassists went out, bought DL4s and got on the scene too. It was at this point that I realised what I was doing and turned the solo project into a band. Check it [url="http://www.myspace.com/thebrokendoor"]www.myspace.com/thebrokendoor[/url].

Dan