Why become a member? ×

How do you deal with performance nerves/imposter syndrome

Posted (edited)

And whilst it's a jam, it's a Ukulele Jam.

This means that everybody joins in on everything.

A number of weeks ago, I enquired if I could go along with my bass ukulele (Which I've done at other uke jams) but was told they already has a bass player and felt a second amplified bass would be distracting (And who would play an unamplified bass).

Then recently, the organiser reached back out to me and asked if I would 'dep' for their usual bass player who is unwell :( and needs to take time off, possibly permanently.

As usual, the evening has a lead (Intros etcCalls out songs, sets the pace) but also a few players up front, I assume they are the more experienced players but I gather that folks will swap in/out; also the bass player, of which there is just the one ... this time it's me!  Thankfully they are happy for me to play my sub-short scale Ibby 5er (I love my ubass 5er, but I do much prefer the tone of my Ibby)

I've never played with this group before, but as a few folks have said, they did ask me ... hopefully it is because some of the group have heard me before ... rather than them just being desperate! lol

Anyway, roots and fifths it'll be, with (I suspect) a fair few ghost notes and even some bassless passages if I just don't know the song or cannot gel with the pace.

Thanks to all the feedback, I'm just going to have fun! :)

Sam x

Edited by SamIAm
  • Like 2

One of your roles is to look at the drummer and make eye contact with others on stage. They’ll be more worried than you and your confidence will help them.

Resist the temptation to look down at the fretboard or twiddle your amp.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SamIAm said:

No drummer, not even a Cajon!

Sam x

Perfect, now you can glare at people who don’t match your idea of time, since you alone are the sole arbiter 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Oh, and make sure that you know who your victim will be at the start of each song, so that you can give them a dirty look every time you play a bum note.

In that case I should probably take a mirror!

Sam x

• Haha 1

If they're good musicians they won't be expecting you to be perfect on a jam night with no rehearsal and they'll support and help you.

If they do expect that and you get no support then they're not good musicians and don't be intimidated by that kind of behaviour, they're the imposters. 

• Like 2

Appreciate this read, thanks for posting. I'm a number of steps down the skill ladder from yourself but play monthly rehearsal sessions with three others. Two of these I know play bass, but as others have said we're the one with the bass in hand in our respective bands.

Played one gig a couple of years back (with a previous band put together in the music school I used to take lessons at) and the head squirrels really kicked off after, but on the upside resulted in me getting my cheap 6 string project bass! Having been there once before I'm working towards a much more enjoyable next outing and have a bit more of an idea about what to expect!

Edited by DocTrucker
  • Like 1