Why become a member? ×

Arthritis

Given that the purpose of this post is musically related I’ve put it here, if it needs to go to Off Topic fair play.

It seems that I’m developing arthritis in the knuckle on my left thumb. Ok, nothing I can do about that however my playing style has pretty much always been heavy pick & hit hard, picked up equally by being both a punk player and starting out (like many of us I dare say) with an amp not powerful enough so digging in to get the volume.

So the purpose of the post, well I don’t want this to develop in my picking hand so am dropping to lighter picks and lighter playing. Who knows if it’s already lurking or not, but I’m going to make the changes in the hope of keeping it at bay for as long as possible. Fortunately the thumb issue isn’t too bad as it doesn’t really affect the way I play too much.

So another one of those getting older/making changes things, much like the realisation that ear-plugs are def worth plumping for. For us musicians if our hands & ears don’t work, well not a good place to be.

• Like 2

It's got to the stage now that I can no longer voluntarily bend both Interphalangeal Joints (IP). If I do happen to snap them back then the air is turned blue due to the pain. Got a Dr's appointment in a week regarding injections/ other treatments but have to be careful what I take pill wise due to liver issues. Oh the joy of it all.

I am suffering with pain at the bottom of my left hand thumb joint and think this could be arthritus as it is also in the same place on my left hand but to a lesser degree. Looking for ways to eliviate it if there are any and I will probably try and get to see the doc shortly.