Why become a member? ×

NBD: Status Graphite Series *23*

This beauty arrived from Status HQ a few days ago, ordered to my specs.

I've owned quite a few Statuses (Statii?) over the years, but being the unabashed bass tart that I am, I moved them all on eventually for something or other that probably seemed more sparkly and alluring at the time. I thought I'd got the carbon graphite bug out of my system, then a couple of months ago I spotted an S2 headed 5-string bolt-on online at a very reasonable price that had been delivered to the original owner in 2021, then promptly put in storage for the next three years as the pandemic played out. It looked like it was completely factory-fresh, so I took a punt. It turned out to be absolutely pristine and lovely to play, and immediately re-kindled my love of all things Status.

As many of us will be aware, Rob Green (the boss of Status Graphite) had been ill with cancer, and with Brexit, the pandemic and price hikes for raw materials on top of that, production was shut down in 2022. Thankfully, Rob recovered after major surgery. Deciding he wasn't quite finished with the business, he opted for what he referred to as 'semi-retirement', and started making basses again late last year, but decided not to produce any of the previous ranges, making only a new 'Series 23' bass with a wooden, graphite-reinforced neck and a Richlite phenolic fingerboard, as well as Chris Wolstenholme and Alex Venturella signature models, made the same way.

Although in some people's estimation this might have appeared to be flying in the face of the very thing that set Status basses apart from the rest, I was intrigued at the prospect of the new model, and decided to take the plunge and order one, a 5-string headless with Paramatrix 4-band EQ and Tri-Max pickups in soapbar cases. The chameleon finishes on offer on the website weren't really my thing, but Rob said he could make one in Satin Black, and I was sold.

So what's it like? As I mentioned earlier, I know my way around the various Status models pretty well, and having the S2 to hand means I have something to compare the S23 with. The build quality and finish of both, as you would expect, is flawless. The S23 neck feels very slightly chunkier than the S2, due in part to the different finishes, but the profile and dimensions are almost identical. Using a depth gauge, the S23 measures a couple of millimeters deeper than the S2 at the zero fret, presumably to support the headless string retainer. Depth measurements at the 12th and 19th frets are the same on both basses, as is the width at the zero fret on both. The S23 neck is very slightly wider at the 12th and 19th frets than the S2 by a couple of millimeters, but it isn't apparent when playing either bass.

Tonally, the S23 doesn't disappoint. Acoustically it's resonant, bright and crisp, with a piano-like quality to the B string that I wasn't expecting. At my request, Rob fitted 45-130 stainless steel "Hotwire' double ball end strings, and even though I'm used to nickels, the steels play so nicely, I think I'll be ordering some more. I've played extra-long scale Laklands for years, and the B string on the S23 is just as clear and defined, completely integrated with the other strings, as opposed to an afterthought added to a 4-string, as some fivers can feel.

The acoustic clarity and resonance are borne out in how the S23 sounds plugged in - clear, crisp and open, and the EQ and coil tap switches mean you can create an incredibly wide range of tones, as well as dialing in the famous Status mid poke. The S2 sounds great too, but to be honest, it seems slightly muted in tone in comparison to the S23.

As you might be able to tell, I'm very impressed with my new acquisition. I can see my S2, Lakland and Dingwalls all taking a back seat to the new arrival. If you're in the market for a high quality custom bass, I would suggest you seriously consider one. The other small bonus (at the moment at least) is that as production has only restarted recently, the build time from placing the order to delivery was only 6 weeks. Get in there quick.

IMG_7732.thumb.jpeg.e91be15c3ec810bfd79972d464228fb4.jpegIMG_7758.thumb.jpeg.3f675a87f818f5de23a9b10933779d4c.jpegIMG_7762.thumb.jpeg.27078fe1c020be9544d05823283f1790.jpegIMG_7760.thumb.jpeg.985492de6d973c1c8193aaca0beed80f.jpegIMG_7759.thumb.jpeg.b92ac14a63f3f0a452fb7b5d7735d109.jpegIMG_7763.thumb.jpeg.23bb53621a3afab15249fd292c60dc60.jpeg

• Like 27

2 hours ago, Musicman666 said:

i wonder how the graphite would compare to the wood if they had the same preamp?

Good question, but I don't think there's really any way to find out. Somewhere on the website it says that the Paramatrix preamp can't be retrofitted to older basses.

7 hours ago, lowregisterhead said:

Good question, but I don't think there's really any way to find out. Somewhere on the website it says that the Paramatrix preamp can't be retrofitted to older basses.

how do they compare unplugged?

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Musicman666 said:

how do they compare unplugged?

The S23 seems brighter and more resonant than the S2 acoustically, which could be due in part to the stiffness of the graphite neck on the S2. I'm going to do a review/comparison video soon which should show the tonal differences better.

Edited by lowregisterhead
  • Like 1

I'd be very interested to hear the difference if any. Certainly, the samples of the Alex Venturella bass on the Status website that are semi isolated I could tell the difference right away between the wood and graphite neck. However, it's worth saying that in a mix you'd probably never really be able to tell unless there was more higher notes played with a bit more percussive type sound. Obviously Slipknot is rather downtuned.

I've been toying with getting one as I missed out on getting a Stealth by a week when Rob stopped taking orders. Still kicking myself over that as the options I wanted haven't been used on any other stealth made. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Aha I was watching your video earlier! Was good to watch. 

I’ve a 5 string CW-2 coming in the next few weeks, I’m intending to do a comparison video with my graphite CW-1.

Dawn has said they’ve had good feedback about the new models. 

• Like 1