Why become a member? ×

Billy Bo Alumibird 5 build

6feet7

Ever since selling my Alusonic Django bass I've had severe regrets, and, unfortunately, I just can't afford to get another one, so I've been looking around for a cheaper way of getting something made out of metal. I found Paul Miller of Molindar Ltd in Scotland who makes aluminium bodies for guitars and basses at a very fair price.

My second thought was that I didn't wan't a Fender shaped bass (I play a Ricky 4004L and Gibson non-reverse T'bird - both converted to 5 string), so it had to fit in with these. Paul makes a Gretsch Billy Bo Thunderbird shaped guitar body, so I've asked him to make a 5 string bass this shape instead. 

First things first was to source the parts needed, so I found a 2002 Epiphone (Korea) thunderbird neck, an extra schaller tuner to convert to 5 string (I already had four). A 5 string Ibanez AGB2005 tun-o-matic bridge, a Lace Alumitone pickup, a Kiogan wiring loom and a couple of Gretsch metal knobs. These have all been sent up to Paul so he could fit the body to the neck and pickup.

I'm not sure what finish I'm going to go with though. Should I just leave the body rough? Polish it to a shine? Get it chrome plated? Get it chrome plated then acid etched to look rusted up? Any help gratefully received.

Photos below and I'll post more when it's finished.

431572201_441698564873770_5975832238853659000_n.jpeg

433986665_445650167811943_9200004938921299974_n.jpeg

434053105_445650227811937_3193187793497227784_n.jpeg

434446499_445650184478608_4002830162263496000_n.jpeg

434462419_445650197811940_3684624768449138261_n.jpeg

IMG_9243.jpg

IMG_9244.jpg

IMG_9282.jpg

Edited by 6feet7
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

If he can do laser etching, then with the right design it can look breath-taking.

Wow. He doesn't do any finishing (except paint, which I don't want). I've found people who can polish it, but I love that etching. I don't suppose you know who could do it?

The guy who did that moved to Perth years ago. Strangely enough he's back in England (I think right now) visiting relatives but I don't think he'd be up for it. 😉)

They call that 3D holographic. Post my photo on the right FB pages and you'll find someone, I'm sure.

Just now, Happy Jack said:

The guy who did that moved to Perth years ago. Strangely enough he's back in England (I think right now) visiting relatives but I don't think he'd be up for it. 😉)

They call that 3D holographic. Post my photo on the right FB pages and you'll find someone, I'm sure.

Thanks. I think I've found someone literally 20 minutes from me. I've just messaged them so will hopefully find out next week. Photos to follow.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Sooner or later, you'll have to tell us what this beast weighs ...

When it arrives - though it is mostly hollow, so it might be bearable 

13 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

I do hope so, but my aluminium 3/4 DB weighs roughly 50% more than a plywood 3/4 DB.

Just saying ...

Ouch

The Tokai Talbo Bass which has a similar construction with a hollow aluminium body weighs the same as a typical wooden bodied bass. 

Mine was full of the sort of foam you find in cushions in an attempt to prevent the hollow body inducing feedback, although @Bassassin has reported it's not very effective when using high-gain sounds.

• Like 2

Just now, BigRedX said:

The Tokai Talbo Bass which has a similar construction with a hollow aluminium body weighs the same as a typical wooden bodied bass. 

Mine was full of the sort of foam you find in cushions in an attempt to prevent the hollow body inducing feedback, although @Bassassin has reported it's not very effective when using high-gain sounds.

I absolutely adore the look of the Talbo, and have looked at converting one to a 5 string - I’m sure Simon at GUS Guitars could fashion something up, though I’m going to see how this one goes first.

1 hour ago, 6feet7 said:

I absolutely adore the look of the Talbo, and have looked at converting one to a 5 string - I’m sure Simon at GUS Guitars could fashion something up, though I’m going to see how this one goes first.

I looked at getting mine converted to a 5-string but it wasn't really cost-effective, so I sold it (to someone in Japan IIRC). If money was no object then maybe I's reconsider, but I'd probably just have some more Gus basses instead!

• Like 1