Why become a member? ×

Plucking & coming to rest on lower string.

Morning all,

I am trying to develop the plucking technique where your fingers come to rest on the next string after a pluck.

To date I have largely plucked and followed through into free space. Tring to develop this resting technique is resulting in a lot of percussive sound and occasional harmonics.

I'm without access to an in-person tutor at the moment who'd be able to see what I need to work on, and it's near impoosible to film on my own! And hints that might help me develop this?

While a four string is my current main work horse I do aspire to playing the six string and have one in my stable. I appreciate muting is more critical (I guess 50% more so 😉 ) on 6 string.

Finally is this technique supposedly the 'right' way to pluck, or is it more anboptional variant?

Thanks.

• Like 1

There isn't such a thing as the one ultimate right way to pluck.

Personally I more so stroke the strings lightly, rather than really plucking or pulling the strings, in a slight inward slapping motion, with the outmost tip of my fingers/nails, but that is a not too common plucking technique.

Some prefer to pick more aggressively, almost pulling the strings, and that works for them (though one thing to keep in mind that this way you will have less room for dynamics).

I also utilize 1 and 3 finger plucking technique, classical guitar finger picking style technique, and flamenco guitar index and/or middle finger (sometimes ring finger too) flicking technique, as well a double thumbing technique, depending.

My advice is to experiment to see which technique you personally feel most at home with and which gives you the tone you want, but also be open to incorporate less traditional picking techniques for a broader palette of expression.

Also I advice you to learn floating thumb technique, instead of anchoring your thumb on top of the strings, in my opinion this will give you much more freedom, and make muting easier and more effective.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DocTrucker said:

Morning all,

I am trying to develop the plucking technique where your fingers come to rest on the next string after a pluck.

To date I have largely plucked and followed through into free space. Tring to develop this resting technique is resulting in a lot of percussive sound and occasional harmonics.

I'm without access to an in-person tutor at the moment who'd be able to see what I need to work on, and it's near impossible to film on my own! And hints that might help me develop this?

While a four string is my current main work horse I do aspire to playing the six string and have one in my stable. I appreciate muting is more critical (I guess 50% more so 😉 ) on 6 string.

Finally is this technique supposedly the 'right' way to pluck, or is it more an optional variant?

Thanks.

IIRC there's a video of just this technique of the SBL website - I think it's a guest tutor...

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What you need to do is stroke the strings.

If the cross section of the string is a clock face you need to be playing between 5 to and 5 past 12 o'clock. Play with a light touch. This technique isn't an aggressive way to play.

• Thanks 1