Why become a member? ×

Westone Thunder 1A
£300
Caterham, Surrey

edwn

£300 including hard case

Fantastic solid bass with great Japanese craftsmanship, 9-piece ash/maple/walnut body, three-piece maple neck and rosewood fingerboard.

Active circuit has a centre detent. Turn one way to boost bass, turn the other to boost treble. The passive tone keeps working during this, allowing for everything from Dub Reggae to the Stranglers.

Passive / Active switch. This also works as a kill switch if you take out the battery and use it passive for thirty years like I did. One final toggle switch has broken off. I never knew what it did (not much) but it could easily be replaced with a switchcraft replacement and a little soldering.

One small chip on the body (repaired) by the electronics cavity, and one little ding  on the side of the fretboard -- useful for finding the third fret by feel on a dark stage 🙂 Not bad for a 44 year old ...

Currently strung with Rotosound Swing Bass 66 which have been on for about 23 years so just starting to settle in. Another few years and they will be bedded in nicely. I have never touched the action, intonation or truss rod as it is always just right. It's been tuned once a year, whether it needed it or not. I just checked and gave the truss rod a quarter turn one way and then back again and it was very stiff but it does move.

4.3kg

19mm string spacing

One owner since new -- I bought this from Kingfisher Music in 1983 for £155 with the case which according to the Bank of England is £636.78 in today's money ... however feels much better quality than £600 instruments are today ... outstanding value ...

Cash on Collection from Caterham, Surrey or willing to meet up up to an hour away.

sm-IMGT0061.thumb.jpg.75f8ffcd9f42c4a84527c500625a8f8b.jpg

sm-IMGT0062.thumb.jpg.80ae1f414c2f5b1f3fe74d89b21ddf97.jpg

sm-IMGT0066.thumb.jpg.cff8452e1db5959e49995d6696b483e6.jpg

sm-IMGT0063.thumb.jpg.4eac93ce6d890bcd134c81b0b450aad1.jpg

sm-IMGT0060.thumb.jpg.e13f85c83f25e3273696773cea27f5bb.jpg

sm-IMGT0064.thumb.jpg.feb56516a846912605a9e8b2c7052ec3.jpg

Edited by edwn
  • Like 9

On 26/03/2024 at 18:58, edwn said:

......... One final toggle switch has broken off. I never knew what it did (not much) but it could easily be replaced with a switchcraft replacement and a little soldering.

Fairly sure that’s the coil tap switch, to switch between dual coil humbucking and single coil; see:

http://www.westone.info/manual/index.html

Lovely bass in stunning condition, I do prefer them in the “blond” natural finish like this.   For some reason Thunders seem to be the last of the classic vintage basses that can still be had cheap, no idea why. 🤔

Bump and GLWTS 👍

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...